1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recommend a wireless cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmk909er, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

I hope I am in the right forum...I am going to switch from DSL to cable and want to buy my own equipment.

Can I get some recommendations on a wireless cable modem?

I will be running 15 Mbps on Cox Cable in San Diego.

Thanks, Joe

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Buy a modem that is compatible with the Cox service. Then buy a wireless router that meets your needs. I don't recommend any kind of "all-in-one" solution.

3. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

The all in one is what they recommend, is this not a good idea?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't do it. I prefer to have the modem and router separate so I get the router I want with the features I want. I'm not even aware of any combo cable modems/wireless routers. You'll really limit your selection.

If you're buying the equipment, why did they recommend anything? Are they going to charge you for support? Did they give you a list of supported models? They need to provide that for any type of device. Cable companies have lists of modems they support. I've never heard of a cable company suggesting a combo unit.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the Motorola Surfboard cable modems are good, but I can't really compare them to any others.

I also prefer having separate modem and router. For the same capabilities I guess a combination unit should be less expensive initially, but not sure about in the long run.

6. valis

valis Moderator

I would also check to make sure that your cable company doesn't provide the cable modem itself. Most of those are proprietary; I know with Comcast I didn't have the option of purchasing a cable modem, but after that it's my network again.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Many cable companies want you to rent a (often inferior) modem from them, but you can usually insist on using your own and make sure they discontinue charging you each month. My daughters in Chicago and near Decatur, IL use their own modems with Comcast.

8. valis

valis Moderator

hmm......we weren't given the option........but then again, we are not charged for the modem; it's provided, and I'm running about 8k d/l speed on all pc's in the network, so I'm not griping. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice