1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recommend an online backup service?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MarkHaigh, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a good online backup service?

I've been using Bullguard Backup but they've become unreliable, and decided to employ monkeys for support staff. iDrive doesn't really work because you can't save backup jobs!

Carbonite looked really good but I really don't want something that is always running in the background. I want to run backup jobs when I want to backup.

2. oksteve

oksteve

I have started using the free version of Mozy (2gig limit) and the hardest part is the initial backup. Once that is over it backs up when you want or to a scheduel.
    Customer service is quick to respond,even on Sunday.
    I will probably use the pro version once I am completely happy with it.

I use photobucket for my pictures and video, can be a bit fiddly but very good pro service.
    BTW Mozy do pix'n'vids too,its just my worry about backing up everything in one place

Music I back up to an old ipod.

3. whitekingle

whitekingle

Search it in amazon.com, buy.com or ebay.com. You may find it. Good luck!

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Im also an idrive user and am a bit perplexed by what you mean that it cant save backup jobs? Do you mean that when the software is set to do a backup taks it will not remember the settings you entered? If so i had this problem as well and wound up using an old version of their software(v2.xx) that worked stable.

5. oksteve

oksteve

6. ODB_Info

ODB_Info

I searched a lot for a good Home/SME online backup solution.
    I found SOS Online Backup, liked it and have become a Partner.
    Features

• Unlimited versions of one file,
    • Unlimited number of computers on one account,
    • No archive deleted, ever.
    • Local and online backup,
    • Heavy duty encryption.
    Also

• Data is also accessible worldwide via a web browser,
    • Continuous data protection with "Live Protect",
    • Backup files even while they are in use,
    • Share files simply,
    • Access from your iPhone or any smartphone,
    • Do password protected local backups as well.
    Can one get better than that?

See my site: http://www.online-data-backup-info.com/SOS_Online_Backup.html

Thanks.

7. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers so far.

@oksteve: will have a closer look at Mozy and maybe give it a test drive. Thanks for the pointer.

@new tech guy: unless idrive changed recently, it won't let you create and save multiple different backup jobs that run when you want to (e.g. one for my important documents I regularly update, one for my photos, one for less important stuff I'll do when my internet connection is idle etc). Just dosn't work the way I do.

@ODB_Info: Can you turn off "Live Protect"? And can you create multiple backup sets/jobs that you can run without scheduling?

8. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  9. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh Thread Starter

I think Skydrive is more suited for file sharing rather than backups. So by design it's not great at backing up lots of files without e.g. zipping them first - although you can install a plugin to drag and drop files. But without backup sets it's not really powerful enough for me. Also I don't think it provides any encryption?

(Maybe someone should write an app that compresses, encrypts, uploads and mirrors across multiple sites like Skydrive...)

10. Chuck22

Chuck22

I use, and am very pleased with, http://www.backblaze.com (unlimited space, and automatic daily backups -- don't even notice them at all).

11. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh Thread Starter

Backblaze looks quite good. $5 pm (or $50 pa) for unlimited storage. And you can turn off the automatic backups. Doesn't look like you can create backup sets though, so Mozy is still winning so far.

12. ODB_Info

ODB_Info

Hi Mark,

Live Protect

"Live Protect" can be turned off or on at any stage for a given file. Directories cannot be "Live Protected" yet but it is easy to select all or some of the files to include or to exclude again.

Backup Sets

Different backup sets from one computer are not possible at present.(Its comming soon!)
    There is great value in having sets.
    I am surprised they don't do this yet.
    If one is backing up everything immediately, perhaps one could include all your backups at present in one set.
    However I think this is a valid question and the answer is no at present.

13. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh Thread Starter

So Mozy is still leading, and proving pretty good.

It has one failing though. There's no option to close the application..!

I can end task it to kill it when I've finished running my backup, but how odd.

Presumably this is to prevent people accidentally closing it? Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like automatic backups and applications running when they aren't in use!

14. oksteve

oksteve

I agree Mark,I am not keen on that part but I am getting used to it. As you know, you can suspend it but that can be risky.
    I hardly notice it now unless its backing up, which is getting faster and faster, now that the program knows my data sets.

I hope it works out for you. So far so good for me.

15. MarkHaigh

MarkHaigh Thread Starter

One very impressive thing about Mozy has been the support staff - fast, polite, effective... it's like they actually care!

Bullguard take note...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice