1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recommend Me A Cheap Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tunga, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tunga

Tunga Thread Starter

There's probably been various threads of this nature before, and I checked the review forum but couldn't find anything particularly relevant.

I live in the UK and will soon be moving into a house with three fellow students where we will be splitting a broadband (probably 8MB) between four computers. We would like to go wireless due to the rooms being on two seperate floors and to save us from tripping over bundles of wires when drunk and/or tired :) .

Can someone suggest a cheap but reliable router, preferably with at least one Ethernet port on it too since once of the computers will be next to the thing and can have a wired connection to it. I had a bad experience with an unknown brand router so I'd rather stick to something I've heard of, but any siggestions are welcome.

I'm pretty sure this makes no difference, but I'll also be using my Nintendo DS on the router when they active wireless internet play in the UK (as far as I'm aware the DS supports one of 802.11b or 802.11g though I forget which one now).

I don't really know how cheap you can get a decent router for but I'm not spending £100 on it and preferably less than £75 if that's possible. I'm a student - I need money for alcohol too :) .

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'll need someone in the UK to aid in the selection, since the "cheapness" is regional. In the US, we have all sorts of rebate deals to buy routers for peanuts most of the time. For instance, here's one expiring today for $2.99 after rebate. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=298420

Here's another page with a bunch of good deals: http://dealnews.com/deals/D-Link-DI-524-802-11-g-cable-DSL-Router-for-20-after-rebates/94434.html

See if the same kind of stuff is available in the UK.

3. Tunga

Tunga Thread Starter

We don't get rebate offers in the UK. To be entirely honest I have no clue why or how they exist, over here if a company wants to sell it for £10 then they charge £10 rather than charging £40 and making us post off to get £30 back :) .

Price I can kind of judge myself as to whether I want to spend it anyway. What i'm more looking for is some suggestions, either of specific models or of any specific features that I need to look out for. I have no past experience with wireless router so I don't know what most of the stuff is that they list on the specifications (other than stuff that's on normal routers).

I don't want to make the same mistake that I made before of buying a random non-brand router and finding it's a piece of crap :) .

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Belkin, D-Link, Linksys and Netgear 54Mbs 802.11g Wireless Routers with 4-port switch all seem to be about equal and are all name brands (at least in U.S.). They also support 'b' band. They each have their fans and their detractors. I have been very happy (6 months) with my Belkin F5D7230-4 and like the fact it came with a decent paper User Manual. Also bought a D-Link DL-524 recently (great sale and Rebate deal!); have played around with it some and it seems pretty good also.

Rebates are great for manufacturers and retailers because a whole bunch of people will buy for the great price, and then not bother or forget to send in the rebate or not meet all the fine-print conditions. Maybe you Brits are smarter about such "deals."

5. JohnWill

If the Brits are "smarter" about rebates, I hope people over here remain "stupid" about them, they save me a ton of money! :D

6. Tunga

Tunga Thread Starter

Those four were the four I was looking at anyway really. So is it basically true that buying a cheaper touter from those companies just means less features and not less quality? I don't need great features, I just need reliability and ease of use :) . Any good review sites that compare some different models?

7. Tunga

Tunga Thread Starter

8. JohnWill

Looks fine to me, I just sold a customer that same router and he's happy. :)

9. Tunga

Tunga Thread Starter

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/396072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice