1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Reconciling screen saver and powering down monitor...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Puritan, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

I have my monitor set under the screen saver power settings to automatically power off after 10 minutes of inactivity. I also have a screen saver set. The screen saver seems to constantly supersede the power setting, however. Whether I set the screen saver to activate after less time (like 5 minutes) or more (like 15), whenever the screen saver turns on, it kicks the monitor back on and doesn't let it turn off again. Why is that? The monitor will power off after 10 minutes if the screen saver is disabled even when watching a video file (ie while the screen display is constantly changing), so it shouldn't be just because the screen saver keeps changing the screen's video information...

2. Dan O

Dan O

Some screen Savers keep accessing the hard drive, which causes the problem. Have you tried using a standard Windows screen saver that is very simple, not the 3D ones?

You may need a BIOS update that has a fix for correcting APM problems, which a common problem.

3. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

No. I'll try that, thanks.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Did you upgrade the BIOS? You should also experiment with enabling all BIOS settings test and then disable all and test, some times it solves the problem.

5. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Switching to the non-3d screensavers fixed it, thanks.

How come the monitor shuts off when I'm watching a video file, then? I would think a video file would have to constantly be read off of the hard drive too, no?

6. Dan O

Dan O

It depends on the type of interaction. A DVD video once started does not perform any hard disk I/O. Most DVD players have an option to pervent a screensaver or APM from activating, if that has been a problem for you.

7. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

What about video files on your hard drive, avis, mpgs, asfs, etc? Is there an option in Windows to not have the monitor shut off if Media Player is open or something? (For that matter, is there a way to tell the monitor not to shut off when some arbitrary program X is running?)

8. Dan O

Dan O

No, it program by problem. Later versions of Media Player does have an option to allow or not allow screensaver to be activated. Check for it under Tools and Options.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice