1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Record live to PC and/or CD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jtwilburt, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtwilburt

jtwilburt Thread Starter

I currently make live records from a sound board at church to cassette and would like to move to the current century ie: cd recording. Should I rather record to PC then make CD or can I record directly to CD? What software should I use? Does there exist and if so should I use a direct to CD machine and skip the PC altogether? Thanks, I know somebody here can help me out

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Audacity is a free program that will record to your PC and permit you to do some manipulation but you will need to burn your cd in a separate program.

3. thecoalman

thecoalman

How about a portable digital recording device?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

That's a steep price but this is one of those niche markets and there isn't a lot out there. Even the CD recorders are similarly priced. Seems like certain things are much more than they should be like mini-dv decks... you can buy a cam cheaper than a plain deck.. cam has more stuff, makes no sense.

As far as hooking it directly to your PC that is simple enough if you have a laptop or the space available near the soundboard. You only have to hook it to the microphone jack just like you do the cassette recorder... Use the aformentioned Audacity to record. Burn it to disc or whatever else you want to do with it.

4. jtwilburt

jtwilburt Thread Starter

Thanks for the Audacity tip, I'll "bench test" it from home before trying live recording. Should have mentioned, I already have a PC adjacent to the sound board for visual projection. Any thought on what software to use to burn the cd's? They need to be compatible (obviously) with audio cd players not just PC based cd drives.

PS - The digital recorder looks like a lot of fun too as I love gadgets. Maybe for Christmas, the gadget budget was shot on a pool for the kids this summer.

5. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

If I recall correctly, you need to record and burn .wav format audio files for complete compatability with all cd players. Most burn programs automagically burn wav as cda.

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

You don't have to record as WAV, WAV will create pretty big files. If you have the space or just want to use them as temp files it's preferable. For storage on computer you can use a lossless codec like WMA lossless, FLAC. If space is an issue you can use a slightly compressed WMA or other codec.

To get them to CD you can use any common burning application, just use the audio CD option. It will convert any audio files to the correct format which can be played in a CD player.

7. jtwilburt

jtwilburt Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and input. This should keep me busy for a while.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice