Solved: recording on PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

etaf

Wayne
I'm trying to set up recording on friends PC.

The Pc is a dell tower with a seperate creative SB live! value sound card. running windows 98

So heres the list of things I have tried:-
1) Sound Card works and plays CD's and sounds from PC OK.
2) Plug an Input into the line-in or the microphone and the sound comes out the PC speakers OK.
3) Open up the volume control to advanced and selected all the devices - when connected to microphone I can adjust the input volume with the microphone tab Works OK and Mute with microphone mute Works OK.
when connected to Line-In I can adjust the input volume with the Line-In tab Works OK and Mute with microphone mute Works OK.
4) I open Windows Sound Recorder - and I can select a sound file and play OK
When I record however, Nothing the green line does not move and nothing in the file at all.
5) I then look at edit> audio properties> and I have the choice under sound recording of a "wav-In" or "use available devices" no difference which one i use.

Help - How can I record??

just to add I'm not returning to PC until Wednesday - so as many suggestions as possible would be welcome

On to the hard drive?

If so go to Programs\accessories\entertainment\soundrecorder

oops should have read it all.

etaf

Wayne
Thanks for the link - but that is how I have been using the sound recorder and its not recording

Try the sound card in a different computer.

Obtain the latest drivers for the sound card.

Search the internet.

B123

etaf

Wayne
Anyone know of other free software I can download that will help fault find here

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
etaf, have you checked the Creative Media control panel? I think there may be some settings there for the record device.

Also, try another mic please ;) Just in case. I have an older one with an adapter on it, I guess to power it better or something, and it will not work on some systems.

etaf

Wayne
Thanks - I can here the music playing though the line and mic. - and can control the volume and mute from the PC - so I'm happy the signal is getting in and controllable.
just cant use sound recorder

I'll have alook there

etaf

Wayne
dont have a mic - i just plugged the source into it.

So -
music centre with phono speaker outputs - which then goto amplified speakers
took the phono outputs and put into a jack into line in.

adjusted the volume on the music centre - and the music played through the sound card.

Then adjusted the line in volume on the computer and volume changed
ticked the mute for line in and it muted.

Sound would not record

so then unpluged from line-in and plugged it into the mic socket
then the mic volume on PC worked and the mute worked and another option 20db on the PC also boost worked

But the sound recorded did not record

etaf

Wayne
see if i can find a mic - I have downloaded the drivers - I think
for win98 and win98SE

etaf

Wayne
I now have the PC here @ home.

I have updated the drivers from the driverguide website.
I have installed directX9
I have played with all the settings
I just cannot save a recording

must be simple setting somewhere, i need to set.

they have creative mixer - which has a recoding control - but I dont know how to use it. I can change the setting to line and when connected to line i can control the volume and mute - then same when i use microphone

just cannot record .......

did your sound card come with the creative media player? if so, try using that, it has an option called "what u hear" that should work.

In the windoze volume control, choose options, properties. choose "recording", and make sure that line in is checked. then click ok.

Your volume control should now change to read "recording control". choose select under "line in" and set the volume as desired. now try recording with sound recorder.

If your running out of a stereo, that is a line level signal. it needs to go into the
"line in" jack on the sound card. The microphone input is only for low impedance devices (like microphones).

I would try cakewalk guitar tracks 2.0. It is actually a multitrack studio but it is verry useful because of the editing and control options. I think they still have a free trial download. In the mix mode under the slide control drop none to set up recording/playback options record control should be wave and playback should be line in, just a thought

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online