1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recover and export PST file from corrupt copy of Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by icebergs, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icebergs

icebergs Thread Starter

Hi, this is going to be a tricky one for a first post, I fear. I need to export email from Outlook 2007 on my old laptop to an external hard drive, then import it to a new machine running Outlook 2010.

Sounds simple, right? Well, here's the rest of the story:

My old laptop threw a major fit after I updated the AV suite last year, and now refuses to launch Outlook at all. Instead I get an error message telling me that there is insufficient disk space to run Outlook, and to reinstall it. I have defragged and deleted 100's of GB from the main disk (C drive) but still no go. I bought my old PC several years ago with Windows Vista (32bit) and MS Office 2007 preinstalled, so I don't have the disks to reinstall Outlook, which might fix the issue. Currently, my old PC is behaving like it has never had Outlook installed - it doesn't even appear in the list of programs running on the machine.

Unfortunately I didn't run a backup before updating the AV suite (which I haved previously updated with no issues) so I don't have the PST file on an external storage device. I have tried to back my old machine up to my external hard drive now but with no success where emails are concerned.

I know the PST file is still there because I downloaded a free file recovery tool (Phoenix) and it grabbed everything that is in my email and listed it all for me to see, but to save my emails using this tool would involve paying a fair whack of money that I just can't afford right now, and I would like to see if there is another way to do it.

Just to summarise, I need to export my Outlook 2007 PST file from a dying PC which no longer thinks it has Outlook, to an external hard drive, so I can import it to my new machine. I don't want to hook up the 2 laptops directly to each other because if the old machine has a virus or malware I don't want it infecting my pristine new registry!

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You need to locate the old PST file and copy it to the new machine... no special software is needed. Then in Outlook 2010 use File > Open > Import > Import from another program or file > Outlook Data file.

3. gurutech

gurutech

If the PST file itself is corrupt, you can use an app called "scanpst.exe" to check and repair it. This app is free and comes with all versions of Office.

The only "catch" is that you must run this app from the folder it's located in (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office??\Scanpst.exe) - where ?? is the version of Office you are running (12 for 2007, 14 for 2010).

Once the app is loaded, it will ask you for the location of the PST file to scan. Point it to the correct location and let it do its thing.

4. icebergs

icebergs Thread Starter

Thanks, I managed to find the pst file on the old machine after poking around for a while, and have finally been able to copy it all to my backup hard drive and import it successfully to my new machine. Phew!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice