Solved: Recover data from an external HDD that has...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lipton7

So i was reformatting from Vista back to XP x64 because a piece of my hardware was incompatable with vista and kept crashing. I go to delete the partitions of my internal HDD and i forgot that my External HDD was still plugged in and i deleted the partition of that too. I got pissed and restarted my comp. I had to go back thru the partitioning and i recreated the partition for the External HDD along with my internal and all that. My question is, "Is there any possible way to recover the data from a repartitioned drive?" I have not yet reformatted the External HDD. The data should still be there, but the indexing is gone? IF anyone has a way to recreated the index it will be much appreciated. :)

The are many programs that will recover the data for you. I use one called Recover My Files (the name says it all) which I have used many times after doing something like you did. I think it was 50 bucks to buy... or maybe 30. I can't remember.

This is a list of some free ones. They will work but they are a little more glitchy, at least that's what I found out:
http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Just remember: Don't put anything on that hard drive until you get your files off. Writing more files to the hard drive (even the ones you are recovering) could overwrite some files you want to retrieve. When you recover files make sure to save them to a different drive during the recovery process.

Lipton7

should i format the external HDD before i run the program or would it work it its raw?

I think you have to do a quick format just to get the drive to be recognized on your computer but nothing more. Make sure it's just a quick format, not a regular one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online