Solved: Recover data from dead raid system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djellftw

We have a dead raid motherboard. We have data on 2 raid hard drives that we need to recover. Is there any way to do this without installing a new raid motherboard? Is there any company that can recover this data?

Getting a replacement motherboard that is identical to the dead one would be the simplest way to go about this.

crjdriver

This is why I have never liked onboard raid. The board dies and you are pretty much out of luck.

One thing you can try is to connect the drives to a raid card with the same chip ie promise 2076 or highpoint 372, etc. You MAY be able to get the card to recognize the array. Note I have never tried this, however I do not see why it would not work. Provided the raid card uses the same chip as the onboard raid.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's a lot more likely that a disk will die than a MB, and your data is just as gone in that case. :) FWIW, I recently had my ABIT MB die and leave my RAID-0 array stranded. Since I actually have real backup, all I lost was the data from the start of the day, and I had the backup system in place and working in about 1/2 hour. Not a pleasant experience, but not exactly a disaster either. I got the replacement from ABIT, and I'm back in the saddle...

crjdriver

The key is having a backup of data / work files. Even better, an image file to restore.

I do not know how many times we have to say it; data not backed up is data that someone does not care about.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
crjdriver said:
I do not know how many times we have to say it; data not backed up is data that someone does not care about.
Over and over and over and over and over again! :D:D:D

I have heard great things about ReWave Hard Drive Recovery at www.rewave.com.

I have a friend who works at a community college. The college lost their RAID 5 system last summer. ReWave was able to recover all of their
data in the RAID in less than 48 hours. Their technicians worked all night
on recovering the data.

The college was very pleased.

Good luck!

I have heard great things about ReWave Hard Drive Recovery at www.rewave.com.

I have a friend who works at a community college. The college lost their RAID 5 system last summer. ReWave was able to recover all of their
data in the RAID in less than 48 hours. Their technicians worked all night
on recovering the data.

The college was very pleased.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online