1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recover data from dead raid system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djellftw, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djellftw

djellftw Thread Starter

We have a dead raid motherboard. We have data on 2 raid hard drives that we need to recover. Is there any way to do this without installing a new raid motherboard? Is there any company that can recover this data?

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

Getting a replacement motherboard that is identical to the dead one would be the simplest way to go about this.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And a lot cheaper than a data recovery company! :)

4. stlucia007

stlucia007

If that fails, you might try www.rewave.com
    They offer data recovery for RAID and competitive prices.

Good luck!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is why I have never liked onboard raid. The board dies and you are pretty much out of luck.

One thing you can try is to connect the drives to a raid card with the same chip ie promise 2076 or highpoint 372, etc. You MAY be able to get the card to recognize the array. Note I have never tried this, however I do not see why it would not work. Provided the raid card uses the same chip as the onboard raid.

6. JohnWill

It's a lot more likely that a disk will die than a MB, and your data is just as gone in that case. :) FWIW, I recently had my ABIT MB die and leave my RAID-0 array stranded. Since I actually have real backup, all I lost was the data from the start of the day, and I had the backup system in place and working in about 1/2 hour. Not a pleasant experience, but not exactly a disaster either. I got the replacement from ABIT, and I'm back in the saddle...

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The key is having a backup of data / work files. Even better, an image file to restore.

I do not know how many times we have to say it; data not backed up is data that someone does not care about.

8. JohnWill

Over and over and over and over and over again! :D:D:D

9. stlucia007

stlucia007

I have heard great things about ReWave Hard Drive Recovery at www.rewave.com.

I have a friend who works at a community college. The college lost their RAID 5 system last summer. ReWave was able to recover all of their
    data in the RAID in less than 48 hours. Their technicians worked all night
    on recovering the data.

The college was very pleased.

Good luck!

10. stlucia007

stlucia007

I have heard great things about ReWave Hard Drive Recovery at www.rewave.com.

I have a friend who works at a community college. The college lost their RAID 5 system last summer. ReWave was able to recover all of their
    data in the RAID in less than 48 hours. Their technicians worked all night
    on recovering the data.

The college was very pleased.

Good luck!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice