Solved: Recover files from CD erase

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alloy

Have erased a CD with Picassa in error... is there ANY software that I can recover the irreplaceable photo's taht were on it...have tried isobuster and Stellar without success

You may have to Google it. I've seen one out there that undeletes from cd - but I cant remember where I saw it. I'll keep lookin and let you know...

jdl

PhotoRec is a program designed and tested with many digital camera storage systems. Documentation, however, says it will also work on hard disks and CDs.

You can download it free here.

Let me know how it works for you with your particular problem so we'll know for future problem posters.

alloy

Thanks for the suggestion jdl.. downloaded photorec - on running it however it selects the HDD and does not provide any way of changing to the CD drive ?

jdl

I gave you the incorrect download page and there are at least two photorec programs. You can download the one I have from here. I had photorec.exe on my computer and just googled it for the download page...I selected the first I saw and it was the wrong one. Sorry for the error. I have since reviewed the original program I gave you and it is rather ugly compared to this one.

You can review the new program capabilities here.

When you open the program, insert your CD and select it in the top dropdown menu. Select the size (650 MB or 700 MB) or appropriate, in the second dropdown menu. Select "Next" and follow the directions from there.

Let me know if it works please.

alloy

jdl said:
I gave you the incorrect download page and there are at least two photorec programs. You can download the one I have from here. I had photorec.exe on my computer and just googled it for the download page...I selected the first I saw and it was the wrong one. Sorry for the error. I have since reviewed the original program I gave you and it is rather ugly compared to this one.

You can review the new program capabilities here.

When you open the program, insert your CD and select it in the top dropdown menu. Select the size (650 MB or 700 MB) or appropriate, in the second dropdown menu. Select "Next" and follow the directions from there.

Let me know if it works please.

alloy

tried the new version.. but no it does not find anything... guess I will just have to make sure I keep backup CD's in future..I have for most but as always this one I have not yet duplicated!
thanks for your suggestions.. photorec looks interesting for other occasions..

That was the right link after all. I thought that was one you had to buy, but it is free.

alloy

no success.. thanks you for all your efforts..just have to be more careful in future!

If it was a full erase, they are gone. But if a quick erase, they are still there. Don't toss them out just yet. There are an ever-increasing number of recovery programs available for CD's, and even some that read CD's in hex just as if it were a hard drive, even if the file table has been removed.

Here's a couple more programs

www.elpros.si/CDCheck
http://www.naltech.com/

alloy said:
Yes !

Naltech DVDrescue did it... fantastic.. thanks guys
I'm happy for you. When you said they were irreplaceable, I definitely felt for you.

Back up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts