1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: recover files from formatted drive

Discussion in 'General Security' started by dazz1, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazz1

dazz1 Thread Starter

there is a program called "recover my files" that boasts being able to recover files from a formatted disk, even if you have re-installed windows, is this really possible, is there no way of safely deleting data that doesnt involve destroying the HHD???

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

I've no personal experience, but claims made by quite a few of the makers of programs like you mentioned, support the statement that formatted drives / files can be recovered.....and, overwritten data, that is overwritten enough....is very hard to recover but still at least doable by those dedicated enough with the right tools.

In our forums here at TechGuy, we are often asked for help with file recovery, and I have read threads where there was some success with data still being found.

It depends....

Some of the better Data suites claim that recovery of a whole partition is possible.

http://www.google.com/search?q=reco...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

There are also, very much more thorough file wiper utilities around that can "shred" files so they are much much less able to be recovered....

Think hard before you install one.... they can instantly cause you a great deal of problems in the wrong hands so it computers areound yu are used by others.....you need to ensure some security.

Or, use the file shredders after the computer is ready to be passed along, or sold.

The only sure way is to physically destroy the drive, a tank would do a good job...... stick it in your woodstove for a few days....

I dunno...personally, I still can use a laptop hard drive that was inside a laptop that exploded, and burned here in my home.

It was in an IBM ThinkPad that had a bad battery and caught fire on my workbench! The whole laptop burned but the drive still works- and, we dumped buckets of water on the burning machine.... hard drives are very durable objects.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice