Solved: Recover lost files in My Documents

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mozzer65

Hi,
I have a client who experienced a bsod - "Unmountable_Boot_Volumne" - using winxp sp2 - i fixed this by running a chkdsk /r via a xp boot disk - it reported a number of bad sectors and fixed a number of incorrect links. The machine restarted ok and was able to login back in ok.
However.. the client has now lost all user data within his users profile - mainly under My Documents, Outlook data files and outlook address book.
I have looked all over his machine and these files do not exist anywhere now.
My guess is that the corruption fixed by chkdsk has lost the file table pointers to these files/folders.
Is there any app and/or procedure to allow us to recover some of these "lost" files?
The client is desperate, as he has no backup and has many years of personal data now lost - he is aware that backups should have been done. But if you can assist he would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks
Mozzer

I use Ontrack EasyRecovery and I get back most of the data in some form or another.

be aware that if you have to do a RAW scan this will 1) take a long time and 2) kills your files names so that the person has to go through each document and determine what it is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online