1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recover Outlook 2003 data?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chellethecat, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chellethecat

chellethecat Thread Starter

Earlier this evening I had a problem that ended up requiring me to do a fresh install of Windows XP Pro with service pack 2 onto my computer. I did not format, rather I installed over the current and problematic install. I've done this a number of times in the past with very few problems. Tonight was not one of these times however.

For some reason (and this has not happened in the past) when I went to open up Outlook I could not find the program at all. I cannot in fact find any Office programs when I had the full suite installed.

When doing this in the past, all my desktop icons remained in tact as did my startup menu. Now, this time, the only thing missing is Office.

What I'm trying to figure out, before I do much else here, is can the files, specifically my email data, be recovered in any way?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi chellethecat

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Do a Search for .pst files. You may need to enable Show Hidden Files and Folders.

It sounds like you may need to reinstall Office 2003, but locate the .pst file(s) first.
    Once Outlook is running, the previous .pst files can be opened in Outlook.

Let us know if you are successful or not.

3. chellethecat

Okay, I found the file I need (from yesterday which is perfect, will only look some junk mail hehe).

I'm going to copy the file to another location just to be on the safe side, but once Outlook is reinstalled, how do I get it to read this file?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Start Outlook and connect the .pst file to Outlook,
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the location of the .pst file and select it.
    It should then appear in Outlook.

Make that Personal Folder (.pst file) the default Personal Folder (where messages are delivered)

Tools > E-mail Accounts... > View or change existing e-mail accounts > Next

In the lower section of that window, click the drop down arrow for: Deliver new e-mail to the following location
    Select the Personal Folder where you want your messages delivered.
    Click Finish

Close and restart Outlook for the changes to take effect.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

5. chellethecat

Thank you SO much!
    It worked beautifully. I have all my mail back and all is right with the world again *L*
    I had to tweak the rules and add in all my email addresses but that was by far the lesser of two evils.

Thank you once more for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice