1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: recover private documents from other WinXP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thepeasant, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepeasant

thepeasant Thread Starter

Hi, so I have myself in a bit of a pickle.

I got a virus a while ago which froze windows after startup. The only recourse was to reinstall windows on a different partition. The virus is now wiped out, but my old install of windows was ruined.

I attempted several methods of troubleshooting, the latest being running a windows repair through the CD. The current situation of the old install is that it boots up to a black screen where I can manoever the mouse cursor as desired but without any other functionality (this is before the login screen, which never occurs). The same thing happens in Safe Mode (even with command prompt) except that in Safe Mode the 'safe mode' text is displayed around the edges.

I'm fine with using my new install, however there are some important documents in my old profile's 'My Documents' folder which I need to recover. In any other login my user name folder is 0kb large and it says 'Access is Denied' when I try to open it, obviously because it was made private to my old username.

So, how would I go about recovering the documents? Is my only recourse somehow fixing my old windows install, or is there a roundabout way of getting to it?

Thanks in advance,
    ~TP

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. thepeasant

yes, that ther one was an accidental double-post. I still have a problem, please help!

4. valis

valis Moderator

closed other thread, please respond here.

thanks,

v

5. valis

valis Moderator

if it's on a different partition, can't you just use windows explorer to go get your documents?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can boot to safe mode and choose Administrator user and then change the permissions on those files but honestly it is easier to download a live-cd version of Linux such as Puppy Linux which will allow you to boot to cd, plug in a flash drive and then move all the files to a flash drive or usb external drive as Linux does not recognize Windows Permissions. You also need a program to convert iso file you download to a bootable cd.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads
    http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/

7. thepeasant

Valis: My new windows installation still recognizes that it's a private folder and won't let me access it.

Rich: Even the Admin in my new windows installation can't access those files. I'll try the Linux route you suggested, thanks.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  9. thepeasant

"Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition."

dang... scratch that option

10. thepeasant

ah, fixed it! I read the support guide again and saw that if I log in as an Administrator in Safe Mode the security tab will pop up and allow me to change permissions, and it worked! Thanks Chuck!

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are welcome. (y)

For a while there I had thought that I had sent you the wrong link or that MS changed something in XP Home within the last couple of years. :eek:

I had to go through the "Take Ownership" routine a few years ago when I put a new and much bigger hard drive in as the system drive on a computer running XP Home. I slaved the old drive and couldn't access any of my old documents on it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice