1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovering files from a deleted NTFS partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by justan00b, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justan00b

justan00b Thread Starter

Did something really stupid the other day. Was doing a Windows install and I mistook a drive for a different drive.

In short, I deleted the partition, recreated the partition, but I haven't reformatted yet. The partition was the same size before and after so that shouldn't be a problem.

The files should still be there but I don't know how to get at them. I've already tried Recuva, UndeletePlus, Restoration, and a Knoppix boot disk but none of these were able to do anything because of the lack of a file system/boot sector.

Anybody know of a quick and dirty, preferable free software tool that I can use to recover these?

2. srhoades

srhoades

I don't know about free but I've used Stellar Phoenix numerous times to recover from deleted partitions/failing hard drives.

3. justan00b

justan00b Thread Starter

Costs a lot and I'm pretty broke. :(

Thanks though.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You're going to find it pretty tough to find something that is good and cheap, particularly for partition recovery. Another good program you might want to look at is [email protected] Partition Recovery (http://www.partition-recovery.com/). It provides a demo version, but I don't know the restrictions that you'd have on it.

Your best bet for free software might be in the Source Forge freeware and open-source site (http://sourceforge.net/). A quick look didn't turn up anything, but you might have some success if you give it a look.

5. justan00b

justan00b Thread Starter

Running Active @ Partition demo to see if it can recover anything. I can afford $20 if it can do it.

If it can't I'll try and restore it using the instructions on this page and this page.

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Unfortunately, those require you to be able to boot to Windows. And if you were to install Windows on that drive, your chances of recovery would be zero. You can probably do the job if you were to connect your drive to a second computer (either by plugging it directly through an available IDE or SATA port, or through USB with a hard drive enclosure).

But yeah, the best hope is through tools designed to do the job.

7. justan00b

justan00b Thread Starter

Manual fix worked. Now I know a new trick or two too.

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    It's always useful to have that extra bit of knowledge. I'm glad it worked out for you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice