1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovering Lost Images on miniSD Card

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nildefects, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nildefects

nildefects Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have recently lost a few pictures on a miniSD card that was formatted by accident.
    I have tried two programs off the net to recover them. One didn't find any files and the other claimed to find 62 files, but I had to pay $49 for the license to recover them. I did this with regret and ran the program again.
    The 62 files have appeared in My Pictures in TIFF and Bitmap format. When I click on them they don't open. Some of them are up to 5MB in size, but there doesn't appear to be anything in them. I don't really understand because they were originally JPG files when taken on the camera.
    Can anyone offer any advise? Have I wasted my money?
    The software I paid for was F-Recovery.
    Is there any others out there that might work better?
    Many thanks.
    Nildefects.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've used lots of software to get pictures off and have had pretty good success.

Here's two free one by the same company:

Smart Recovery: http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    this one is designed specifically for this purpose.

File Recovery: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
    Not sure why, but once Smart Recovery couldn't find any pictures but File Recovery could.

P.S. The more the camera was used after the deletion the lower the chances of getting off all the images.

3. lce_123

lce_123

a good one is recuva
    it can be found here

4. nildefects

Thanks guys. I'll give them a go. Why do you think I have had this problem with the other software? Do you think the images maybe unrecoverable?

5. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

I used this app for doing just what you need done... http://www.z-a-recovery.com/index.html
    It is free if you use it for flash memory recovery, but if you want to do hard drive recovery, then you have to pay...

Best of luck to you!

6. lce_123

lce_123

use recuva. www.recuva.com. it is a free tool that can scan any drive and you can recover any file that was deleted.

7. nildefects

I have tried recuva. Didn't find anything. Tried both PC Inpector programs. The media one found 12 files in jpg format. I saved them to my pictures, but again when I click on the images it just comes up empty "No Preview Available". Tried the ZAR program and it ran for 8 hours and was still in progress. Does this one take a long time? Maybe I should leave it running a few days.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It should take that long. It appears that some of the data in the pictures has been overwritten in which case recovery may not be possible.

I should ask how you are recovering from the card, do you have the card in the camera or in a card reader? Sometimes it works better if the card is removed from the camera and used in a separate card reader.

9. nildefects

In a card reader in the PC.

10. smbd

smbd

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The price is right to buy a full license right now. :D

13. nildefects

I have tried every program suggested in this thread. Some programs said they had found images which turned up to be TIFF or Bitmap images that just wouldn't open. Others couldn't find anything. I guess I have lost the pictures.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you're probably right.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice