Solved: Recovering Lost Images on miniSD Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nildefects

Hi,
I have recently lost a few pictures on a miniSD card that was formatted by accident.
I have tried two programs off the net to recover them. One didn't find any files and the other claimed to find 62 files, but I had to pay $49 for the license to recover them. I did this with regret and ran the program again.
The 62 files have appeared in My Pictures in TIFF and Bitmap format. When I click on them they don't open. Some of them are up to 5MB in size, but there doesn't appear to be anything in them. I don't really understand because they were originally JPG files when taken on the camera.
Can anyone offer any advise? Have I wasted my money?
The software I paid for was F-Recovery.
Is there any others out there that might work better?
Many thanks.
Nildefects.

Triple6

Rob
I've used lots of software to get pictures off and have had pretty good success.

Here's two free one by the same company:

Smart Recovery: http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
this one is designed specifically for this purpose.

File Recovery: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
Not sure why, but once Smart Recovery couldn't find any pictures but File Recovery could.

P.S. The more the camera was used after the deletion the lower the chances of getting off all the images.

nildefects

Thanks guys. I'll give them a go. Why do you think I have had this problem with the other software? Do you think the images maybe unrecoverable?

nildefects

I have tried recuva. Didn't find anything. Tried both PC Inpector programs. The media one found 12 files in jpg format. I saved them to my pictures, but again when I click on the images it just comes up empty "No Preview Available". Tried the ZAR program and it ran for 8 hours and was still in progress. Does this one take a long time? Maybe I should leave it running a few days.

Triple6

Rob
It should take that long. It appears that some of the data in the pictures has been overwritten in which case recovery may not be possible.

I should ask how you are recovering from the card, do you have the card in the camera or in a card reader? Sometimes it works better if the card is removed from the camera and used in a separate card reader.

nildefects

I have tried every program suggested in this thread. Some programs said they had found images which turned up to be TIFF or Bitmap images that just wouldn't open. Others couldn't find anything. I guess I have lost the pictures.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online