1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovering WinXP Home Sp2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AvvY, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I thought I'd start a new thread as I think I have found the new problem. If you are interested, refer to my original thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t323129.html

Just to sum up - Partition Magic killed my WinXP after a partitioning batch file quit at the beginning of the operation. So now when i load windows I get the first winXp loading screen with the status bar, and after a second or two, it reboots.

I can't get into safe mode either. I have tried fix MBR. I have run several partition recovery tools to see if my partition was damaged, but it doesn't appear so. I also ran a test using a copy of SpinRite 6, which didn't find any damaged data.

I booted my comp, and hit F8 and booted windows, but told it not to auto shutdown on system failure. here is the error message given to me:

You comp has failed.. Shut down. Run WinXP recovery and do XYZ.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X00000024 (0x00190203, 0X86F437c0, 0Xc0000102, 0x00000000)

------
    Does this mean anything specific? I tried to navigate MS's website, but found nothing. I was told to do the following by a friend:

How To Do a Repair Install of XP

* Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD

* Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

* When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

* When you see " To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER", go ahead and press ENTER. At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

* Then agree to the license agreement and press F8.

* On the next screen make sure your current XP installation is selected and then press "R" to repair XP.

* Then XP will begin to install on top of itself, replacing damaged registry files w/the default ones. Follow the instructions on the remaining screens to complete the Repair Install. You will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates including SP1 and DX9, plus retweak most (but not all) things all over again.

-----
    The only problem is that I cant use my Winxp cd. When I boot it up, no probs, but as soon as I have to choose to run the Recovery Console, or install XP, it tells me that my HDD isn't installed. I know that shouldn't happen, because I can still boot the HDD no problems. It is a SATA HDD. I checked the BIOS, but only found references to IDE drives. The only time in the BIOS that my HDD is mentioned is in the boot sequence.

Only once in the 4-5months since I have had the comp has it actually loaded the Recovery Console, and that was last week when this problem began. I don't have any discs for the HDD so i have no idea of how else I'm meant to get the boot CD to recognise it.

-----

If all else fails, I am going to take the PC to the shop and get them to install another HDD and load windows onto that and recover my data that way. But I figure I must be able to just recovery the already installed windows...

Here are my PC specs:

WinXP Home SP2 (I have an Sp1a disc, which I upgraded to sp2 via download)
    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    AMD 64 3000+
    1024MB ram
    Segate SATA 200GB HDD
    DVD-Rom (IDE)
    DVD-Burner (IDE)
    - Both installed as secondary IDE drives

Hope this helps, I really appreciate any help.

Late,

2. jephree

jephree

You need to provide the Windows installation program with the SATA drivers. You are prompted during the install loadup to press F6 to load additional drivers. Insert the floppy with SATA drivers.

3. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I went to the Segate website and researched it. I found this:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_detect.html
    so I went to the Asus website (my Mobo manufacture), i downloaded the drivers - the same as what was on the cd i had (i tried both drivers)
    http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket754/k8vse-d/overview.htm
    - thats with all info on my MoBo.

Anyhow, i loaded the winxp driver files onto a floppy, and during the winxp cd boot i pressed F6, but when i told it to find the drivers on the floppy, it said that it couldnt find "TXTSETUP.OEM".
    I looked through all the files i got in the driver.zip but no textsetup.oem file...

Any ideas? - one other thing said on the Seagate website, is that the generic RAID/SATA driver should be fine for use with my SATA HDD, and that i only need a driver if im using a PCI bus card for attaching the SATA card.

What should I do next?

Late,

4. jephree

jephree

Here are a couple threads with similar issues:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=88649

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-85099.html

Is this the driver pack you downloaded?

VIARAID220d.zip

Also: What kind of SATA card or controller are you using?

Also: As to your earlier Stop Error:
    0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

5. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

It's ok, I have taken the comp to the shop to get Widnows reinstalled, a second HDD installed, and all my data recovered. Thanx anyhow,

Late,

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Good thinking OZ, probably saved a - lot - of - time.

7. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

Yeah - I already spent about a week trying to fix it myself! But I'm glad I did, because I was able to figure out specifically what was wrong - which means I was able to tell the techies at the store exactly what needed to be done, instead of spending lots of money on getting them to figure it out, and means I can fix this stuff again later (faster) if it happens again. Anyhow,

Late,

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Hope you took the precaution of imaging the main drive so you just have to format and restore.

Time for another tube. :)

9. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

Nope, if I format, I loose all my data. Thats why I'm getting a second physical HDD for backups - too many cd/dvd's worth to backup - and I am forever updating/changing the files. They should easily be able to fix it with a second drive installed in the box - good ol' DOS commands would work.

Anyhow, it will get all sorted out now.

Late,

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You misunderstood me I think. If you use a 20Gb drive as Master to install the OS on and use your 200Gb drive as a Slave storage drive you'll only need to restore the 20 gig drive whilst your data remains safe on the 200 gig drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice