1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovering Z88 files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compconfused, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compconfused

compconfused Thread Starter

I have an old Z88 that I used mainly as a word processor. I had a lot of document files on it when it "glitched", sometime around 1989, and all of the files were erased, or at least became unreachable. I used it for a few more years after that and again had a lot of doc files on it when in '92 or so I got really busy and left it unplugged for several months. The batteries went dead and again I lost all my document files.

I still have the Z88 kicking around, mainly because of the faint hope that there might still be some way to recover those ancient files. Would like to know if this is even remotely possible, and if it is, how would it be done?

Thanks in advance for help with this question.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    According to this website :- http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/z88.html unless you bought and used an Eprom to store the files they disappeared when the batteries ran down.

I think the Z88 could be a collector's item now.

3. compconfused

Thanks very much for this great answer - I checked out the link and it's nice to see Sinclair is still supporting the Z88. I hadn't realized that these could be a collector's items, so now I'm watching a couple of auctions on Ebay to see how they go.

I really appreciate your help!

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome :)

After reading this :- http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/z88/ I think it might be better to keep it and use it yourself !

I spotted 2 on Ebay UK and I'm wondering what they will go for, it's an interesting machine.

5. compconfused

Managed, thanks so much for your help with this - I wrote a whole reply but it erased when I hit "marked unsolved" before posting, and I do want to respond now and don't have time to re-write the whole thing, so just thanks so much for all your help, it really made a huge difference!

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's ok, don't worry about it. You're welcome. I noticed one went on Ebay for ~£50, Will you keep yours ?

7. compconfused

Am trying to figure that out now. I watched a couple of Z88's on Ebay, one went for $45, the other $80 - think the first one was the machine alone, the 2nd had accessories.

So I probably would have sold mine, but your link to the obsolete computer museum site article brought back how much I enjoyed using the Z88, back in the day. You can't beat it for convenient use - about the length and width of a piece of notebook paper, and because there's no hinged screen, no balance issues while typing. It was really fun to use.

Haven't decided whether to keep it. Going through my old computer stuff, I realized I have a veritable Calvalcade of Ancient Laptop Wannabees, and am deciding which to keep. So far I've deep-sixed an old Sharp PA1050, and am checking out the Brother Super Powernote that I bought in the mid-90's and only used a few times - not sure why. Haven't found one for sale yet on Ebay - but it's kind of cute, nicely designed, it might go for something.

If I keep the Z88, I have the PC connector cables that came with it, but the software packaged with the cables is on a 5 1/4" floppy - I guess it's supposed to enable a PC to convert files from the Z88, or something (and here we see how very rapidly I get out of my depth, computer-knowledge-wise). I noticed in the first link you gave me, to the company that supports Z88's, that they have a disc available with all sort of things on it, perhaps it would include whatever was on the 5 1/4". I've got to email them and find that out and also whether they sell to the U.S.

Forgive me if this is mega-TMI, Managed, but I do want to thank you again for the links, since they opened my mind to the possibility of keeping and using my old equipment instead of buying a new laptop, which is what I'd been thinking of doing. It's not very often that someone tells you something that potentially saves you $100's of dollars!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think if it was my Z88 I'd keep it. Is the battery compartment in good condition ? Do you know it still works ?

If you just want to browse the Internet, watch uTube clips and write the occasional letter then almost any laptop will do that. I'm using a 2002 Toshiba Portege M100 now to type this, does all those tasks and more. You may find upgrading an old laptop's ram and disk drive worth the cost though. That's what I did. Made the M100 pretty fast, it even runs Windows 7 quite well but it's a little slower than XP.

EDIT : You're welcome mate but keep the praise coming if you like, I don't mind at all. ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!