1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovery Disc Kit

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mr-Steve, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

I have a Dell Optiplex 170L that is running Windows XP . I am wanting to wipe everything from it and restore it back to what it was when it was new.

Where can I find a Recovery Disc Kit for it ?

I have bought this computer from someone else and they did not give me any disc to recover/restore it with .
    I just want to wipe everything that they done and had on this off and start new for me .

Thanks for your help

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Most Dell systems feature a built in recovery partition.

Turn on the computer.

When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold Ctrl and then press F11.

In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore.

When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
    The system recovery process was successful.

Click Finish.

3. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Cheeseball81(interesting name :))
    I have already tried that several times and I get nothing . It just continues to load and goes to my desktop .

Thanks

4. Cheeseball81

Thanks ;)

Are you able to access the system itself? (meaning does it boot up properly)
    If so, then are you able to access the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager software?

5. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Yes it boots up just fine . I'm using it online right now .
    I'm not sure what you are talking about though .
    Dell Backup and Recovery Manager software?

I have went in and tried to use the "System Restore" , but it only went back 6 months to June 2012 .

6. Cheeseball81

It may not have it since it's an older machine.

Try this...

Turn on the computer.
    As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
    Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.
    Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
    Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
    In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
    Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
    Click Next.
    The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
    When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

7. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Here's what came up

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command prompt
    Enable Boot logging
    Enable VGA Mode
    Last known good configuration
    Directory services restore mode
    Debugging mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure
    Start windows normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS choices menu

8. Cheeseball81

When you open My Computer, can you see more than one hard drive listed besides C:?
    Is there a D: drive showing?

9. Cheeseball81

And just double check, when you did hit F8....Repair your computer wasn't listed? It's usually listed above Safe Mode.

10. Cheeseball81

I'm gonna be leaving here in about 20 minutes but I wanted to leave some stuff behind for you to try in the meantime.

First, double check that Repair Computer is or isn't listed in the F8 menu above Safe Mode.

If there is a D: drive showing in My Computer, it may say D: Recovery - if you can double click on it it'll show a path such as D:\Dell\Image....see if you can locate pcrestore within the folders.

There was a time where I couldn't access the recovery either so I did a command prompt and that worked for me.
    Go to Start, Run, type cmd or command and press enter.

The first commands to try are:
    d:
    cd tools
    imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

If those don't work, try:
    path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32
    d:
    cdtools
    pcrestore

11. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Cheeseball81 ,

Thanks for leaving some homework for me ;) . No seriously I appreciate you helping me out .

I have checked and there is no "D" drive , only "C" . The only thing listed with a "D" is the DVD/CD-rw drive .

When I hit F8 , Safe mode was at the top of the list . I did not see "Repair Computer" as a choice .

Since there wasn't a "D" drive I didn't think it was necessary to do the d: commands . If you still want me to try them I will , just let me know .

I have been searching through the Dell website for answers , but so far nothing any different then we have already tried.

Thanks again for your help .

12. Cheeseball81

You're welcome. You can try but it does sound like there isn't a recovery partition on there. Do you still keep in contact with the person you bought it from?

Even when I continually look through Dell's support site, it keeps saying press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time. But I assume that's what you've tried several times already.

It seems that systems that didn't come with disks or partitions allow you to download the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager software.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SOFTWARE/DBRM/

13. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Cheeseball81

Yes I am still in contact with the person I bought the PC from . They were upgrading their office equipment so I offered to buy this one for almost nothing . I will check and see if they happen to have the disk , but I have a feeling that the disks are long gone .

I will look over the Backup and Recovery Manager software and see what I find there .

Oh , and yes I have tried the CTRL + F11 several times with no luck .

Thanks again for your help .

14. Cheeseball81

No problem. Keep me posted.

15. Mr-Steve

Mr-Steve Thread Starter

Well I downloaded the Backup and Recovery Manager . When I try to start it , it comes up with an error message saying "Backup and Recovery can not detect the Recovery Partition"

So now I am holding out hope that I can get my hands on the original Recovery Disks

I will keep you posted .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!