1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovery disk on SD card. How to make it work.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aaronbor, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aaronbor

aaronbor Thread Starter

Hello,

I would like to first thank all members of this forum who help people solve their problems.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Windows 7 Home Premium 64. the Hard drive (HD) came partitioned, and I was running out of space, so I purchased a new HD.
    I made a recovery Disk using a 32GB SD card ( ;) clever Huh!) since the computer has an SD card slot, and no optical drive. Also since the recovery required more space than a single DVD could provide. For your info, The Recovery media is in a partition named Q: in the HD.

After Installing the new HD in the laptop, I find that I cant get the system to look at the SD card. I tried using a USB SD card reader, but it does not work. ( I was not as clever as I thought!!!) :confused:

So I re installed the old drive, and attempted to make a new recovery disk(s) on DVDs, but the Lenovo system gives me an error stating "Only one copy of this media " can be made. :mad:

So now I have a recovery disk in SD format that I cant access, and I can not create a new one. IS there any way to get the SD recovery media to work? Help!!

HERE is the system information with the original HD: I uninstalled most programs and data. because partition C: was full.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8079 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -248 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 64042 MB, Free - 16571 MB; D: Total - 229998 MB, Free - 221704 MB; Q: Total - 9999 MB, Free - 1799 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 4286CTO
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    D has 221GB free - are you using the D drive on that harddrive =

you can move the user account to use Drive D and so that leaves the programs on C: and all the Data on D

How big is the new drive - you could use that for any data you dont need instant access to

http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/2009/05/18/how-to-move-your-windows-user-profile-to-another-drive/

regards the recovery , I dont have an answer, it may be possible to call Lenovo and see if they have a trick to re-enable the recovery media creation - you know now, but you need a device you can boot from , in the bios boot list

3. aaronbor

aaronbor Thread Starter

I have some programs that had to be installed in the OS hard drive. Then I also had Photoshop and other large programs installed there. My C: drive was almost full and the laptop running poorly because of that. In drive D: I had some programs and memory hungry data like photo and video files.

My logic is that since I had to uninstall most programs to move them to Drive D: to clear the OS partition, It would be a good opportunity to increase my drive size. I got a Hybrid drive that has 8GB ssd and 500GB mechanical drive.

Thanks for the reply.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not sure that 8GB ssd is big enough for the OS
    any way, not sure how you would do a recovery

you could download windows 7 ISO and create a bootable USB or DVD from digital river and use the KEY thats on the bottom of the PC and see if that works OK
    check that it says Home premium on the CoA labelon the PC
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

burn to USB
    http://www.isotousb.com/

5. aaronbor

aaronbor Thread Starter

Thanks, That may be the only way to do it. I was able to use Belarc Advisor software to find the activation key to my Windows OS. so I may just do a re-install.
    Yea 8GB is not enough, but what this HD does is place the most used system files in the SSD to speed up boot and some operations.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. aaronbor

aaronbor Thread Starter

I just did a clean install of windows. I was unable to use the SD recovery media,

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1113951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice