Solved: Recovery of Vista Mail messages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bill_Q

Some weeks ago I was housekeeping my "Vista" Basic laptop when I somehow apparently deleted my entire store of messages and folders in Windows "Mail". I was resigned to starting from scratch when after a few hours of operation they all showed up again under a folder called "Recovered Messages" in "Local Folders"!
All my mail complete with archived stuff was back, although some of the folders had slight errors in their titles which were easily corrected.

I was suitably amazed as I had no idea that this facility existed in Mail and I have no clue as to what activated it. Maybe I triggered something in my frantic efforts to recover the files, but there they were. Great!

However, now that all is back to normal I am starting to become a little vexed in that this "Recovered Meassages" folder keeps popping up with folders for various dates, but there is nothing in any of the folders :confused:

So, my problem is - how do I stop this constant return of the Rec Mess folder without killing it altogether? I move it to Deleted Messages folder each time it shows, but it just keeps coming back again and again. Any ideas, anyone?

------

Go to Tools>options>advanced>maintenance>message store.

Select and copy the location.

Cancel your way out of there.

Select the Recovered Message folders and delete them, then empty the deleted
items folder.

Close WM !!!!

Go to Control Panel>classic view (top left)>folder options>view tab>enable
Show hidden Files and Folders>apply/ok your way out.

Now go to the Start Button>Run, and paste the message store location, that
you copied earlier, to the run line>OK

This will open Windows Explorer to your message store, find and delete all
of the Recovered Message folders.

Close Windows Explorer.

Do not Open WM yet !!!!!

Try using this utility to repair and compact the mail store, with WM closed

WMUtil http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/

------

Or you can upgrade to Windows Live Mail.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Bill_Q

VistaRookie (Rookie??) you are the Man, man! Everything worked as advertised. Cleared out 60+ Recovered Message folders and dumped 42000-odd blank files with WMUtil. Mail fires up much faster now. Many thanks and may your camels never have fleas. :D

VistaRookie (Rookie??) you are the Man, man! Everything worked as advertised. Cleared out 60+ Recovered Message folders and dumped 42000-odd blank files with WMUtil. Mail fires up much faster now. Many thanks and may your camels never have fleas. :D
You are welcome. Glad it worked.

"(Rookie??)"
No, not really.
I'm a Microsoft MVP, that cure is courtesy of fellow MVP, Steve from the UK,
while the utility is courtesy of Steve Cochran, MVP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online