1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovery of WinME - 2 issues

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tony1966, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

Sorry me again and good morning all :D

Virtually everything went to plan last night, all the software I needed to re-install over the top (office, Nero Burner, printer, photo/picture editors) have gone as smooth as clockwork and the litte baby is performing a dream.

I have two remaining issues and it's probably best to deal with these one at a time.

First issue is the PCI Ethernet Adaptor. It's currently plugged in and the CD is running to try to install drivers but it's not doing a great deal (i.e. tried a couple of times and been running 30 minutes).

The instructions that come with this suggest that you insert the CD Rom which does some prework BEFORE installing the PCI Card and connecting the cable (from memory it tells you the appropriate times to do this). Is there any easy way of "switching off" the PCI port rather than opening the case and taking the card out from the motherboard to start again ?

By easy I mean Tony1966 foolproof :D :D :D :D

2. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

I think I'll unplug it anyway and try again - if that works I'll still have another (much simpler) question :D

3. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Hi Tony.

First check Control Panel > System > Device Manager and confirm the Ethernet card is correctly identified or is an unknown device with an exclamation mark.

Anyway it goes, place the manufacturer CD in the drive.

Go to Device Manager and double-click the entry that has the exclamation mark, click the Driver tab and click the Update driver button.

Follow the prompts and point it to the CD drive.

See if the installation runs that way.

And on Windows updates... if you're using the internet with that PC you do need updating Windows and IE.

When everything is running well create a fresh restore point at Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Turn off Norton before running Windows Update.

First install IE6SP1.

WinME and IE6SP1 sometimes have some problems installing, but don't worry, I'll help you there if needed.

After installing IE6SP1, new restore point.

Go for a few more updates, 3-4 at a time starting with the older ones, always rebooting when asked to.

Repeat this process until all updates are installed, but remember creating fresh restore points after every successful update.

I know this will be a pain, but it will pay back in full.

Good luck.

Zee

4. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

OK - going for your methods !!!!

Norton is NOT yet installed :D :D

5. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

Success - Ethernet drivers installed and I've just checked to confirm it hooks up to the net.

It's also picked up laptop - though I haven't recreated the network yet.

Right now following your instructions - I'll create a restore point and start following your post word for word.

Updates to follow

Woohoooooooooooo !

6. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

7. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

Right - first system restore point created (though there were a few automatically created through the install and software updates) and IE6SP1 installed - will check it and create another restore point.

I'll proceed with the other installs 3-4 at a time with system restores.

In the meantime 2 points

a) I prefer using microsoft outlook rather than outlook express - (I have Windows Live Mail Beta on the laptop rather than Windows Mail - which is rubbish and full of faults). Do you know what's the latest version I can have on ME, assuming all updates are installed - I believe Windows Live Mail is not compatible

b) I've been doing some research on Norton and restore points - there seems to be a consensus that restore points are only available if Norton is switched off - not something that I saw yesterday. Once all updates are in, latest Outlook uploaded and we resolve my "second simple question" I propose to do another system restore then add Norton just to see whether switching Norton off enables me to view previous restore points. If it doesn't then I'll probably follow your advice for alternatives to Norton. Is there anything additional I could do to protect myself before installing Norton ?

Hey ho - IE6 looks fine -

Network folder looks fine - and can communicate with laptop

system restore and more Windows updates in process

8. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

Two more questions -

Other research last night suggested Ad-Aware SE was the original cause of the EXE/LNK issues - it used to work before - I updated it yesterday and it's my suspicion that this was the problem. Do you know if anyone successfully uses this in ME - again if I use it I'll create restore points :D

Windows Update has found about 40 non-critical updates - should I only pick those I think relevant - eg there are updates to Outlook Express which are superfluous if I;m not proposing to us it

9. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

Another Question - does a sheduled system restore supercede and restore points I have created because those created prior to 11.30 this morning have disappeared - or was this caused by one of the critical updates being to the system restore function ?

10. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

(y)

Probably, AFAIK, Outlook 2002 (Office XP).

Norton simply kills System Restore and no restore points will be created automatically. If you remember that and create them manually, that could be good enough, but you will also have Norton slowing down your system to a crawl (but you already know that).

Suggest as good freebies that still run on Win9x systems:

Avast (Anti Virus) Home Edition
    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Or

AVG Anti Virus Free
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/us/frt/0

And

Spybot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

A-Squared Free:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Spyware Blaster
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

And a software firewall. On this I will let you select it, I always liked Zone Alarm, but I know some versions caused problems in WinME.

Check this website for software (old) versions that will run on Win9x systems (double check though):

http://www.oldversion.com/

Good luck.

Zee

11. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Install now this SR patch:

Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not restore your computer

System Restore points are created automatically when the system is idle.

Putting it simply, Norton never allows the system to go idle, hence no restore points (again putting it in a simple way).

Make sure you are giving SR enough room.

To manually adjust the size of the Data Store, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, click System.
    2. Click the Performance tab.
    3. Click the File System button.
    4. On the Hard Disk tab, adjust the System Restore disk space use slider to the preferred size.

Setting it at 200-300MB is usually enough if you're not installing heavy applications like Office or similar.

Zee

12. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

Right - patch installed on desktop - will do control panel and review rest of the comments after lunch.

EDIT - even I can answer this question :)

And so to lunch

Thanks ever so for your help and patience so far

13. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

OK time for a status review -

STATUS

I've applied all critical updates, restores and the restore patch/settings as suggested (y) The system is currently performing fantastically !!!

I've learned a harsh lesson on sytem restore so I'll apply this to any critical upgrade/amendment in future. I've set system restore up in the scheduler to perform at least once a week - having done two or three restores (for test purposes) since the patch I'll keep my eye on system restore to see whether another problem occurs (ie. an automatic checkpoint is created that deletes manual restores I have created)

Thanks for the response on Outlook - Now just down to me to action .

Thanks for the response on Firewalls/antivirus/spyware etc. I've not installed anything yet and I'll be researching this afternoon - having just renewed Norton subscription I bet I know what the answer is if I want to cancel :D - Now just down to me to action .

Security changes to router - I've been down this avenue and know exactly what to change and exactly what is wholly unnecessary (thanks again to a separate thread I created in TSG) Down to me to action once printer has been networked .

OUTSTANDING some new ones here

1) Non-critical windows updates - re earlier question - which, if any, should I apply ?

2) I've succesfully set up a shared network folder from desktop to laptop with full write access both ways. I had problems setting the printer up when I did this for the first time last week (so I can print from the laptop) but I got there in the end. The printer is already set up on the desktop printing via a USB port.

I know that I have to configure an additional printer as a network printer - any thoughts on correct settings before I apply my suck it and see attempt 400 times :D

3) Network from laptop to desktop - Can't access a separate folder I've created and supposedly shared on the desktop. Should I pursue this one via Vista forums ?

We're nearly done - PHEW !:cool: :cool:

14. Tony1966

Tony1966 Thread Starter

The current printer is set up to print to USB Port 2
    If I click shared and share name PRINTER I can then see it under my network places - if I double click it then says \\Cathy\Printer must be set up - it is this set up that I need help with when I do it it fails to print and network (has print to port \\Cathy\printer - what's the missing link ?

15. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Is it correctly setup in your Vista system, with Vista drivers?

I'll take a look at your previous and longer post and reply later, just popping in for an update and I see it's all going in the right direction.

Speak to you later.

Zee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice