1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recovery Partition stuck at "please insert System Restore"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OneRing2Rule, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OneRing2Rule

OneRing2Rule Thread Starter

Hi, all.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am working on a Gateway MX3215. It was mauled by the Parite virus. I used the Dr. Web tool to cure all of the files. But there are a few "shaky" parts so that I'm not comfortable with the build. (Search comes up, but there is no dialog, etc.)

So I hit F11 to load the recovery partition (D partition on the physical drive). But it looks like it is stuck mid-process. I see the Gateway logo on the upper left, the words System Recovery on the upper right. On the left it is highlighted at Changing CD-ROM IN the main area of the window, there are the words "Completing Recovery Partition" at the top and two windows are open in the center. The one on the top has System Restore in the title bar of the window, with "please insert System Restore CD/DVD # 1 now." The window underneath has "File copy ... Please wait" in the title bar.

And the drive keep ejecting (looking for the CD/DVD).

What I've done: I defeated the PC Angel part so I can see the D: partition.

What I need to do: I need to reset this back to the first step, so I can use this to reload the OS on the computer. I have other builds of XP and I have partition management software. So I COULD just install some other build. But I'd like to reset the restore partition to the beginning.

Help, please? May thanks in advance.

One Ring

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. OneRing2Rule

Well as far as the PC Angel goes,it was hung up before. I just defeated PCA to look at the filesto see if I could reset some ini file or such. So PC Angel isnt the problem. Thanks for the links btw. No joy there.

4. Macboatmaster

Unfortunately I can not offer any more definite suggestions
    The matters that spring to mind is
    1. WHY does it keep ejecting the CD
    2. If you are going no further with the recovery - and you have the same XP CD ie Home to Home etc SP3 to SP3, as is on the Gateway - will it repair install .
    3. Go here and obtain the help of a malware expert to make certain you have done all possible re the infection
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

If you do go to Malware, please report this thread and ask to be moved it keeps eveything tidy.

5. OneRing2Rule

Thanks for the help, but I think I may have overexplained myself.

What I need to know is how to reset the Restore Partition to it's ready-to-go state. When I got this computer it was in a state of trying to finish a process, most likely burning a restore DVD.

I was wondering if there is a boot.ini file to fix, or perhap some grub menu file to rewrite. It boots the partition, then loads the system recovery software. It then checks some file or setting on the recovery partition and decides that is was in the middle of something. Then it gives the message in the OP.

Michael

6. Macboatmaster

I do not think you have overexplained yourself.
    I think I may have misunderstood.

Are you trying to restore this PC using the Gateway restore partition AND a restore CD/DVD

7. OneRing2Rule

And at this point, I'm just going to nuke the drive and rebuild.
    Thanks for your help and Mod, please close the thread.

OneRing

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice