1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: recurring boot/windows start error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chewbubba, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

I apologize in advance if I have probably put this in the wrong forum, so please move if necessary.

I'm running Windows 7 - 64 bit on a homemade desktop.

Out of the blue yesterday, some programs locked up, and I had to restart the PC. Then after the boot sequence appeared to be over, I get this error on the screen:
    Boot Manager:
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1.Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
    2.Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
    3.Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

This makes it look like I'm dual-booting, or booting from USB, but I'm not.

After many, many, many, many, many attempts, I used this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 and rebuilt the BCD.

Seemed to work fine for a few reboots after that.

This morning, the error has returned.

So, my question is, is this an indication that the HD is failing, or do I need to reinstall Windows again, or is this a mobo/controller failure?

Thanks for any help!!

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4093 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 1023 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 300957 MB; E: Total - 76216 MB, Free - 64383 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA770T-UD3
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. dai

dai

3. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

I downloaded the Seagate Scanning utility, and did a Full Long scan - found nothing.

I forgot to mention it in the OP, but I did run windows scanning tool, but I don't know the results because I don't know where Windows 7 puts them.

I noticed that Windows Security Essentials had several things in quarantine (2 or 3 trojans plus other stuff), all from today. I wonder if I picked up something scouring the net for solutions. Anyway, deleted them. Ran MalwareBytes and got a clean bill of health. Ran Spybot Search and Destroy and also got a clean slate. Ran Windows Security Essentials again just for spite and got nothing.

**************POSSIBLY SOLVED??
    I hesitate to call this "solved", because I thought that last night too. Anyway, I noticed that Windows wouldn't start unless I had the Repair Disk in. So, that made me think that correct boot information might have been put on my second hard disk during my attempts to get the machine going last night. Sooo, I went in the BIOS and switched the boot order for the harddisks.
    The computer rebooted just fine. Shut down. Waited. Turned on. Started just fine.
    I don't think this is the ideal solution, but it seems to be working. Seems to be. It just has to last a few months and then I can wipe the harddrives and start over from scratch.

Thoughts? Opinions? Trolls? ;-)

4. dai

dai

give it a few days and see how it goes

5. Chewbubba

Chewbubba Thread Starter

This seems to be working. Like I mentioned before, I think the repair disk or the installation disk put new boot information on my second harddrive. When I switched the boot order of the drives, the machine started perfectly. That second drive is much older, so I suspect this is not an ideal situation. Hopefully it will last until this summer when I'll have time to reformat, repartition, and start over.

6. dai

dai

the boot loader is on the original drive

any newer installs also go into this bootloader

if you want it on the new drive you unplug the original one while you install and replug when finished

in msconfig on the boot tab check the one you want is set to default

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!