1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Recycle Bin Broken?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Time Traveler, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Time Traveler

Time Traveler Thread Starter

Currently running Windows XP Home with SP3, not too sure how long this has been going on but I havn't intentionally done anything to cause it. When I delete things it asks if I wish to send to the recycle bin (as normal) but when I check the Recycle Bin its always empty. I have no idea what could be causing it but that's why i'm here :)

In the past my recycle bin has worked fine but this issue has been at least going on for a month or so but I never worried about it.

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Time Traveler, Go to the link below and under the letter "R" scroll down to "Recycle Bin - Deleting Problems " and you'll find several possible solutions.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

This seems to work for many: Make sure that something is in the Recycle Bin (delete any file). With the Recycle Bin closed, right click and choose: Empty Recycle Bin. When the confirm box appears, click ok. Reboot. Now the Recycle Bin should work correctly.

Tufenuf

3. Time Traveler

The common solution didn't seem to work, I deleted a new .txt file I made for testing it and when right clicking the recycle bin the "Empty Recycle Bin" option was grayed out like the file was never sent there.

I tried the other method but when I hit enter after typing CD \RECYCLED or CD\RECYCLED in CMD it tells me it cannot find the path specified.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Time Traveler, Right click your Recycle Bin, choose Properties and under the Global tab make sure that "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin etc." is unchecked, click Apply/OK.

If the above doesn't solve the problem go to the link below, scroll down to line 64 (right column) and click on "Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

It should correct your problem.

Tufenuf

5. mfletch

mfletch

Sorry if was one of the fixes in kellys but Im running out of time,

so

First make it so you can view hidden files,

Open My Computer and click on Tools | Folder Options. Then open the View tab. UNCHECK 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'

Then

Start> run and type cmd then click ok

at the prompt type RD /S C:\RECYCLER then press enter it will say/ Are you sure (Y?/N?) type y then click enter,

If that does not work try this way,

Start -> run and type cmd click ok

type cd c:\ click enter
    type rmdir/s recycler click enter
    Type y click enter

6. Time Traveler

"Do not move files to the Recycle bin" was already unchecked.

I saved and ran the REG file and tested deleting another .txt file and it still didn't show up in the Recycle bin. "Empty Recycle Bin" was still grayed out.

Do I need to reboot my PC after running the REG file?

edit: Tuf, do you want me to try the fixes mfletch posted?

7. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Try restarting your computer and see if it's fixed. If not you could try what mfletch is recommending. You may want to create a new System Restore point prior to doing that. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore> Create a restore point, click Next and follow the prompts.

Tufenuf

8. Time Traveler

Alright, rebooted with no luck.
    Just tried "RD /S C:\RECYCLER" in CMD and asked me yes or no as you said it would but after typing Y and then enter it told me "The system cannot find the file specified."

Tried the second fix mfletch posted and it seems to be working now, I deleted a test file and it actually showed up in the Recycle Bin.

Thanks to both of you :)
    I'll try rebooting in a few to make sure it'll stay working.

9. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

"Tried the second fix mfletch posted and it seems to be working now, I deleted a test file and it actually showed up in the Recycle Bin."

Time Traveler, Glad to see that the fix from mfletch worked and I hope it sticks. Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice