1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Recycle Bin", "Details" View Does Not Correctly Sort

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TW.87, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

For some reason, my "Recycle Bin" will not display the files within it with the correct filters while in the "Details" view.

For example, I have the "View" set to "Details", and the two columns I have showing are "Name" and "Type", with "Name" selected as the preferred sort order.

With those settings in place, the "Recycle Bin" is not displaying the files in the correct order.I am not sure of the order that it is displaying them, as I can't pick-up on any pattern.

For example, it is displaying:

"File0002.jpg"
    "File0003.jpg"
    "File0004.jpg"
    "File0001.mp3"
    "File0001.jpg"

When I adjust it again so it displays them in the correct order, the next time I open the "Recycle Bin", the order has returned to the incorrect display.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Tanna.Winter,

Not sure is what you are trying to solve is anything more than clicking on the Name bar - i.e.
    move the cursor to the middle of the Name bar and click. There are only two orders, ascending and decending.

OTOH, you can also do the following to see if it helps:
    Double click on Recycle Bin
    Use View pull-down and click on Choose Details:
    Check following:
    Name
    Original Location
    Date Deleted
    Size
    Type
    Date Modified

Adjust the preferred Order (left-right) by using the Move Up button
    Click on the fields you want to view to highlight them, then click Show button to ensure you will see what you want to see

-- Tom

3. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

I've just done all of that, and yet it still isn't remembering my settings.

Any ideas?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Tanna.Winter,

Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm , and Bookmark the website while you are at it in a new folder named WinXPTweaks (if you use Firefox, or in Favorites for IE).

Go to line 64. In right-hand column, download (right-click Save Target As and save it to your desktop): Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP

To install it, double click on the .reg file to integrated it into your registry. Also, you may or may not need to repeat the steps from my previous email, but if the problem is fixed, this time they will work.

If this fixes your problem, save the file to a location where you can use it again if the same problem reoccurs - perhaps create a folder under My Documents named Downloaded Fixes. Also, to refresh your memory after a while passes, create a small Download-Readme.txt file that records that the file named <filename> was downloaded from <website>. Replace <filename> and <website> with the actual names. This way, a year from now you will be able to remember what the file was for when deciding whether to keep it or not.

-- Tom

5. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

I've just done all of that and still no luck!

Any more ideas?

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Tanna.Winter,

The Recycle Bin is a System Folder that is super hidden and does not appear to show even with the folder options set to view hidden files and folders.

Try deleting the entire folder in Safe Mode. Upon rebooting, it should be recreated. Here's how, once you get into Safe Mode (in an administrator account):

Start>Run>type in "cmd" without quotes>click Ok button. This brings up a command window. If necessary, issue the command: cd ../.. to insure that the command window prompt is positioned at the top of the C:\ folder: C:\>
    Note: space between "d \" and "R /" in following line:
    C:\> rd \RECYCLER /s

Then reboot after the remove directory (rd/rmdir) command completes.

-- Tom

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Tanna.Winter,

Do you have Restore Points enabled?
    Start>Control Panel>System>System Properties Window
    System Restore tab>box Turn Off System Restore on all drives

Is the box unchecked on your computer?

If so, and you know when this Recycle Bin behavior started (definitively), then you could do a System Restore back to the day before you started experiencing the problem.

-- Tom

8. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

The problem has been occuring since the operating system was installed, so a System Restore wouldn't work for me, unfortunately.

Also, I tried to remove the entire folder, as suggested, but the problem still continues.

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Tanna.Winter,

Whew! Here is a link to how to do a repair install. Please read the warning links before attempting it. How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

A Repair Install will replace files altered by adware and malware, but will not fix an adware, malware problem.

There is one last thing you can do before that even. You can go the the Microsoft Support webpage at: http://support.microsoft.com/winxp and look for a link to the Microsoft WinXP newsgroups. They may know a fix for this particular problem that the rest of us don't. First, search the newsgroup for a fix, then post your problem for help.

If either of those recommendations don't work, then I'm afraid you may have to do a complete re-install as I have not been able to find any more about your problem.

-- Tom

10. moper

moper

11. TW.87

TW.87 Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice