Solved: recycle bin problems in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kmyers

:( My daughter is running win XP professional on a desktop Gateway P4 (about 3 years old) and after successfully cleaning up incredible amounts of spam (Look2Me- horrible!), I found that her recycle bin shows no deleted files. It doesn't even show that they are being deleted, yet they disappear. Of course I have all the usual checked off in both the Recycle Bin Properties and in Win Explorer like 'view hidden files and folders'. It's also set to '10% max size', '1 setting for all drives', and 'show delete confirmation' (which it does not do). Also strange to me is that there is only a Global tab available in her recycle bin properties. I run XP Home on my desktop and laptop, and there are 2 other tabs for both C and D drives. She has no windows login set so there are no administrator rights set which would prohibit me from deleting. I've searched through article after article online and even downloaded a recycle bin fix (restorerecyclebin.reg) from a reputable site. I then attempted to do a manual fix to delete the recycle bin and let Windows replace the bad component (Info2 - whatever this is), which suggested using the command prompt (CMD) and typing in a series of directions, but when I type each line in and press 'enter', it doesn't recognize the direction (I'm not too sharp in the DOS area!).
If anyone can help, I'd really be grateful. Thanks!

Assuming you have an NTFS file system, try this: open a command prompt (start > run cmd) and at the prompt type and enter:

rd /s c:\recycler

Confirm the prompt to delete the folder and all the subdirectories.

Reboot and save a file to the bin.

If you have a FAT32 file system the command is

rd /s c:\recycled

kmyers

Thanks very much. I'll try this when I get home tonight. I think she has the FAT32 file system (since there is a system 32 folder in win explorer, and I see nothing about NTFS).

The System32 folder exists in both file systems. Most people have NTFS unless specifically installed otherwise.

To verify, open My Computer, right click on the local disk (usually c:) and select Properties.

kmyers

I select Start, run and type in cmd. The window opens as C:\WINNIT\system32\cmd.exe. I get C:\Documents and settings\administrator> and then I type in rd /s c:\recycler at the blinking cursor. Unfortunately it tells me that the system cannot find the file specified. Am I doing this correctly?
Thanks

Yes, try it with "recycled" instead, and if that doesn't work, go to Folder Options > View and temporarily remove the check for "hide protected system files"

Folder Options can be found in the Control Panel or in the Explorer Tools menu.

Then with the c: drive open in Explorer refesh the page (f5). Do you see an icon for "recycler" or "recycled" there on the right pane?

see attachment.

Attachments

Was this what you tried to do

Files not being listed in the Recycle Bin seem to be related to a corrupt info2 file. To correct the issue (Fat32):

Go to Start/Run and type in CMD:

Type CD\ RECYCLED, and then press ENTER. (or recycler depending on your system)
Type ATTRIB -r -s -h info2, and then press ENTER.
Type DEL INFO2, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: This deletes the damaged INFO2 file. Windows will recreate this file as needed, automatically.

"Of course I have all the usual checked off in both the Recycle Bin Properties and in Win Explorer like 'view hidden files and folders'. It's also set to '10% max size', '1 setting for all drives', and 'show delete confirmation' (which it does not do)."

Hi kmyers. You probably already thought of this, but just in case something so simple has been missed, try Right Clicking on the Recycle Bin and click Properties. Select the Global Tab and make sure that the "Do not move files to the Recycle bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." is NOT Checked.

kmyers

I have tried it with 'recycled' instead and have set 'show all hidden files and folders' and applied it everywhere. There is NO recycled or recycler available anywhere. I even did a general search for both 'recycler' and 'recycled'. The folder only exists on the desktop! I'm working in XP professional and your thumbnail looks like a shot of explorer for Win98. Also, remember that I have only 1 tab available under 'properties' for my recycle bin and that is 'global.' There are no 'C' or 'D' tabs available. This is just crazy because all of my other computers show these tabs. I also checked the registry of my other computers for a string I found to SHOW the recycle bin on the desktop (the only articles I could find on this subject from Microsoft) and I do have that string in my registry. I guess that somehow, my daughter is showing a non-existant recycle bin icon on her computer's desktop! Then where in the world is everything going? She is the only one with XP Professional (I have XP Home on my other computers) and I'm just not familiar with it (I had Win 98 for years myself).
Thanks so much for your responses and all of your help. This is a real mystery and I'm a just enough of a computer nut (amateur) to be possessed to solve this problem!

I have tried it with 'recycled' instead and have set 'show all hidden files and folders' and applied it everywhere

You must REMOVE the check for "hide protected system files" to see it. And that is my Windows XP Home Edition you are looking at.

Although I haven't found it to be necessary, it may not be found by the command line if it is a system file and system files are hidden, which it is.

Windows XP Professional would almost certainly be NTFS -- and hence "recycler" -- but it may be protecting this file a little more aggressively.

kmyers

Thank you Rollin' Rog. It is now fixed. I'm not certain as to whether it was corrected in the cmd since it did ask me to confirm (Y or N) before it said that the file couldn't be found, or when I applied the 'show hidden files' to all folders and pressed the f5 (which I had no idea of) to refresh, but just now there is a 'C' tab available under recycle bin properties and when I deleted a file and opened the recycle bin, it was there! I can't believe that after all of the searches I attempted to no avail, the problem is solved. I also posted on Dani web and couldn't get an answer there.
Thanks for all of your help and for being so supportive!
Now, how do I mark this problem successfully solved (since I'm new to this site).

Excellent! You're welcome!

You can mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools tab in this page.

And by the way, if you removed the check for "hide protected operating system files" at any point, it's a good idea to put it back now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!