1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Red Hat 8 on Large (120GB) drive

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by reccenav, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reccenav

reccenav Thread Starter

We have a vendor installing WebSphere service in our organization. We have talked them into using Linux for the servers. The problem is that the application is only compatible with Red Hat 8's kernel version. Initially installed Fedora Core 2 (waiting for our purchase of RHEL) and everything went fine. I went back with a clean install of RH 8 and now get a kernel panic (no init found). I know that the problem is the large drive ( a Western Digital 120GB) drive. What and how do I pass information to the kernel to get it to boot, and then what configuration do I need to modify so it boots ok in the future. Thanks for any help.

Derek

2. reccenav

reccenav Thread Starter

We figured out the problem. The fedora version was loaded using the 2.6 kernel and the partition table that I just attempted to reuse and reformat was unreadable by the older version. Did a low level format on the drive and everything is working now.

3. saikee

saikee

If you are using a SATA then that will be it. Kernel 2.6 supports SATA automatically but lower versions need the SATA driver.

Many distros have 2.6 kernel now. The latest Red Hat is version 9 and my kernel version is 2.4.20-8 which doesn't support SATA automatically.

What is wrong of using FC2 as it is just a modern Red Hat?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I agree, use RH9. Red hat 8 sucked. If you want to use an earlier release of Red Hat, I recommend using 7.2 or 7.3.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Or, just use a modern linux with an old kernel. That'd work too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice