1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: red laptop screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ruggb, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruggb

ruggb Thread Starter

I have the same issue with my HP Elitebook as this post which has pictures
    1049270-red-screen-dell-laptop
    The screen is red when it should be blue.
    The lt fell to the floor. It landed on an edge on top of a neoprene bag.
    there is no physical damage to the case or screen and no damage to the hdd - hp 3d running.
    When I restarted it the pic was weird but not red (some color was not right and there was faint yellow vertical lines on the left side of windows - moved with window.)
    I disassembled it to check for a loose connector. None found.
    I reassembled it and now it is red.
    Obviously, something is not connecting well. It is an LED backlight and video to an external monitor is fine.

what to look for next????????? R there any pressure connectors on these screens if I fully disassemble the screen? Something that could have been jarred loose or moved by the fall resulting in a crossconnect?

thx

2. ruggb

ruggb Thread Starter

Let me answer this because there r a lot of posts in the wild related to this exact issue.

I totally disassembled the screen, disconnected 2 connectors - main input and an aux. connector.
    Under the "DO NOT TOUCH" tape on the bottom of the panel r all the input connections to the panel from the drvr bd.

As I was re-sticking the DNT tape, I ran a Sharpe pen case over the "connectors" as they r only flex-strip cable stuck down to the matching contacts on the drvr bd (no physical connector). Once I connected the main connector to the panel, I propped it up and turned it on. ALL BETTER. One would think that they would have something to apply pressure to the top of that strip - like 1/2 cent piece of plastic. If I have to do this again I will make such a piece.

As I was inserting the tiny side screws, one fell to the floor and disappeared. It required a strong super magnet and long string to fish it out of the floor vent. - So how many have done that? Ud b surprised at what else came out....

The only other issue is remembering where all the different size screws go - and I do not have any extra parts.

BTW, this only involved removing the screen bezel, then the panel from the hinge. YMMV. I.E. the connectors involved were behind the panel and not on the MB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice