Solved: Red Sheild w/ white x after AVG uninstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MJN22

Recently I downloaded AVG free from c-net and after realizing how much it slowed down my start ups I uninstalled it with revo-uninstaller. The next time I powered up my computer, I noticed a red sheild with a white x in my system tray. Its labeled as a 'Windows security alert' and when I open it I have a choice of choosing 'Open security center' or 'Go to Microsoft security web site'.
I read several posts on a similar matter and ran Malaware-byte and SuperAntiSpyware. I also ran CCleaner and Glary Utilities. None of these actions removed it. Then I decided to reinstall AVG free and after the install I noticed the red sheild was gone! A coincidence or not? I ran a scan w/ AVG and then uninstalled it again this time using revo and the AVG uninstall utility.
Soon as I uninstalled AVG, the sheild was back! Need help.

Note: I am familiar with computers but not at a programing level.
I'm running XP home w/sp3.
I have the Windows firewall on, SuperAntiSpyware(free) is on, Malaware-byte(free) I run as needed and I have Spy Sweeper9(paid ver., expires 8-2010) installed but it is no longer operational. I did run it in the background but a few days ago I was unable to access it. I get an error message 105. (with regards to SpySweeper, I recently tried to disable some of the files that were starting at startup. I may have screwed up the program by doing that. I use a startup delayer and was delaying the start of SuperAntiSpyware(which works fine) and delaying the start of SpySweeper(which no longer works fine)) I have HijackThis if a log file is needed.

Thanks for any help at all.

leroys1000

Banned
Security center is notifying you that an antivirus is not installed.
Might want to install something like microsoft security essentials.
It's easy on system resources.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
AVG scan may have nessed up spysweeper.
You might want to uninstall and reinstall it if you think
you really need it.
I think malware bytes does the same thing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online