1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Red "X" in little box

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lindapaul, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lindapaul

lindapaul Thread Starter

I have just switched from dialup to high speed cable and am now using Microsoft Internet Explorer to browse. Many sites which I previously viewed without a problem on AOL now contain one or more small squares with a red "x" instead of the usual picture or graphic. How can I get rid of the boxes and restore the graphics?

2. Augie65

Augie65

In IE, click on Tools> Internet Options> Advanced tab> under Multimedia section, make sure that Show pictures is checked.
    Click the Security tab> Internet zone and then click Default Level button.
    Then click the Privacy tab, and then click Default button. Then Apply and OK.

3. lindapaul

lindapaul Thread Starter

Thanks, Augie65. I did as you suggested, but the condition persists. Anything else I might try?

4. Augie65

Augie65

Can you right click and select Show Picture? Right click on the red x box and select properties. This will give you what image type and URL this is and we can work from that.
    You can also try this suggestion from Microsoft. If you change anything, just be sure to backup your registry.

5. doyle.jack

doyle.jack

This may not be seen as a solution to your problem, but the only way to switch from AOL is to reinstall Windows. Otherwise, you still have AOL... you may not realize it, but it is still there and doing something.

6. lindapaul

lindapaul Thread Starter

Thanks again, Augie 65. The image type shows as "not available"--as does "size", "created" and 'modified". The URLs vary, of course. Would several sample URLs be useful?

The Micrsoft solution scares me!

And thanks Doyle.Jack----reinstalling Windows scares me too!

7. Augie65

Augie65

Are you using IE6 or IE7? Post the URL of a website you are having this problem and the location on the website of the red x you see.

8. lindapaul

lindapaul Thread Starter

I am using IE 6.

www.allsoulsnyc.org

Box at top left of page
    Boxes next to address and email address at top right
    Boxes to left of book titles under "books available"
    Blank, but without "x" box: Rectangular bars next to "Sunday Services" and under "Welcome to All Souls"

Many thanks for your continued help!

9. Augie65

Augie65

Check this, Start> Control Panel> Java ( if you don't see the Java icon, you might have to click other control panel options in the left pane). When the Java Control Panel opens> on the General tab, click Network Settings button. Make sure that Use browser settings is ticked.
    In the Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab, Delete files, Delete Cookies, Clear History.
    In IE, click on View> Encoding> tick Auto-Select, if that doesn't help, tick Western European (ISO).
    Make sure that you don't have an ad blocking software or firewall blocking the image.
    If you click this link, do you see the image?
    All Souls

10. lindapaul

lindapaul Thread Starter

You are a magician, Augie 65. I did not find the settings you mentioned under Java, but I proceeded with the next steps, clicked on "All Souls" and saw the image...and now the red x boxes have disappeared and the graphics are there. I see that I now have to sign in again on sites that used to "know" me, but then I am back in business.

Many,many thanks!!

11. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome.:)
    Your autocomplete will rebuild again.
    You can mark this solved from the thread tools at the top of your post.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice