(Solved) RedHat 9, MP3 doesn't play

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AbvAvgUser

My PC config is P IV 1.5 MHz, 128 MB RAM, Onboard AC97 sound card.

I am a newbie to Linux and just installed Red Hat 9.

I am able to play my Audio CDs (so sound card config is okay), but I am not able to play MP3 tracks.

Media player displayed a message that Red Hat 9 doesn't support this type of media (probably because of some copyright problems) and since then it is not even opening the files in the play list.

How can I play MP3 tracks? I am a newbie to Linux so please give me somewhat detailed guidance. Thanks

Go here and download the x86 binary rpm package.It will go to your /home/yourname directory.Then r-click the rpm icon and choose to install it.In Redhat you may only have to double-click it,but I'm not sure.
I take it that you got the partitioning scheme you posted about in another thread all worked out?:)
HTH
lynch

AbvAvgUser

Yes, I have installed Linux in place of a logical drive and boot loader picked it up correctly. Since version 7.3, Red hat has been giving warning when installing in place of a logical partitioning that you need a boot disk to start. Now disks are totally unreliable. But this one picked it up correctly and touch wood, its working so far.

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded the rpm package and will try to install it.

Try running xmms as root by typing xmms at the console.See if the mp3 will play.
Also you could just get rid of Redhat's version:
1. rpm -qa | grep xmms - this will give you the stripped version of xmms.
2. rpm -e <the name obtained from above - xmms...>
3. Download full featured version of xmms from www.xmms.org
4. rpm -iv <the new version just downloaded>
5. Enjoy your MP3 collection.
lynch

Roo

Ok basically you need the codecs. this is a problem with the RH 9 release that mp3's are not supported play on XMMS, because RH wants a clear cut imagine not supporting leeching of mp3's.

So there is a patent issue. you will find the correct rpm at http://rpmfind.net and there was a recent discussion over at irc.freednode.net:6667 #redhat where all the coders and developers hang out.

If you do not want to get hammered on copyright issues, grab your fav mp3's and burn them onto CD. Otherwise get the codec.

hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Roo

AbvAvgUser

I installed the latest XMMS and MP3 still doesn't play. It starts and gets over before I blink my eyelid. I don't hear anything at all.

Roo, thanks for your input. But I am not able to understand what you say. Please elaborate (or rather simplify what you said)

I am having the same issue. I followed the removal directions of the Redhat version and installed the new one from XMMS.org. Here's what happens:

I play an MP3 in XMMS 1.2.8-1 and all it does it zip through the file. It's odd; it'll play an entire 3 min. MP3 in just under ten seconds, and no sound comes out. I'm running a 500MhZ AMD K6 w/ Redhat 9, with a Soundblaster 16 souncard and 192 MB of RAM.

Are there any other nice GUI MP3 players for Redhat/Linux?
Perhaps someone has had this issue and found a way to resolve it?

Thanks for any help in advance,
KMK740

UPDATE: I have just intsalled the Winamp for Linux Alpha RPM. When I try to run the file "Winamp" in the directory "/usr/share/Winamp" all that happens is a black box appears then dissapears and nothing else happens. ARRRRGH!

You're trying to run an app made for the Alpha platform on an ix86 platform.
lynch

AbvAvgUser

kmk740 may be doing that lynch, but not me!!!

Whats the problem with my machine?? :(

I had similar problems after upgrading to XMMS 2.8.1 on my RedHat 8.0 and I discovered that under preferences on the first tab, somehow the "Output Plugin" was reset to "Disk Writer Plugin". It plays a 3 minute song very fast (in about 10 seconds) and in my case did not play any output.

Make sure that it is set to a valid output, which on mine is OSS driver.

Hope this helps!

Tarabyte

AbvAvgUser

Thanks for your tip. I shall try this and come back to post the progress.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online