1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) RedHat 9, MP3 doesn't play

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by AbvAvgUser, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser Thread Starter

My PC config is P IV 1.5 MHz, 128 MB RAM, Onboard AC97 sound card.

I am a newbie to Linux and just installed Red Hat 9.

I am able to play my Audio CDs (so sound card config is okay), but I am not able to play MP3 tracks.

Media player displayed a message that Red Hat 9 doesn't support this type of media (probably because of some copyright problems) and since then it is not even opening the files in the play list.

How can I play MP3 tracks? I am a newbie to Linux so please give me somewhat detailed guidance. Thanks

2. lynch

lynch

Go here and download the x86 binary rpm package.It will go to your /home/yourname directory.Then r-click the rpm icon and choose to install it.In Redhat you may only have to double-click it,but I'm not sure.
    I take it that you got the partitioning scheme you posted about in another thread all worked out?:)
    HTH
    lynch

3. AbvAvgUser

Yes, I have installed Linux in place of a logical drive and boot loader picked it up correctly. Since version 7.3, Red hat has been giving warning when installing in place of a logical partitioning that you need a boot disk to start. Now disks are totally unreliable. But this one picked it up correctly and touch wood, its working so far.

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded the rpm package and will try to install it.

4. AbvAvgUser

I installed the package. It still doesn't work :(

5. lynch

lynch

Try running xmms as root by typing xmms at the console.See if the mp3 will play.
    Also you could just get rid of Redhat's version:
    lynch

6. AbvAvgUser

I will try this and report the progress.

7. Roo

Roo

Ok basically you need the codecs. this is a problem with the RH 9 release that mp3's are not supported play on XMMS, because RH wants a clear cut imagine not supporting leeching of mp3's.

So there is a patent issue. you will find the correct rpm at http://rpmfind.net and there was a recent discussion over at irc.freednode.net:6667 #redhat where all the coders and developers hang out.

If you do not want to get hammered on copyright issues, grab your fav mp3's and burn them onto CD. Otherwise get the codec.

hope that helps.

Kind Regards
    Roo

8. AbvAvgUser

I installed the latest XMMS and MP3 still doesn't play. It starts and gets over before I blink my eyelid. I don't hear anything at all.

Roo, thanks for your input. But I am not able to understand what you say. Please elaborate (or rather simplify what you said)

9. kmk740

kmk740

I am having the same issue. I followed the removal directions of the Redhat version and installed the new one from XMMS.org. Here's what happens:

I play an MP3 in XMMS 1.2.8-1 and all it does it zip through the file. It's odd; it'll play an entire 3 min. MP3 in just under ten seconds, and no sound comes out. I'm running a 500MhZ AMD K6 w/ Redhat 9, with a Soundblaster 16 souncard and 192 MB of RAM.

Are there any other nice GUI MP3 players for Redhat/Linux?
    Perhaps someone has had this issue and found a way to resolve it?

Thanks for any help in advance,
    KMK740

UPDATE: I have just intsalled the Winamp for Linux Alpha RPM. When I try to run the file "Winamp" in the directory "/usr/share/Winamp" all that happens is a black box appears then dissapears and nothing else happens. ARRRRGH!

10. lynch

lynch

You're trying to run an app made for the Alpha platform on an ix86 platform.
    lynch

11. AbvAvgUser

kmk740 may be doing that lynch, but not me!!!

Whats the problem with my machine?? :(

12. misstarah

misstarah

I had similar problems after upgrading to XMMS 2.8.1 on my RedHat 8.0 and I discovered that under preferences on the first tab, somehow the "Output Plugin" was reset to "Disk Writer Plugin". It plays a 3 minute song very fast (in about 10 seconds) and in my case did not play any output.

Make sure that it is set to a valid output, which on mine is OSS driver.

Hope this helps!

Tarabyte

13. AbvAvgUser

Thanks for your tip. I shall try this and come back to post the progress.

14. AbvAvgUser

It now works!! Thanks to the tip by misstarah!! Thank you.

15. lynch

lynch

Glad to hear that!Wish I could have been more help.;)
    lynch

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice