1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Redhat on Athlons?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ecchi_, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecchi_

ecchi_ Thread Starter

I just decided to dual boot linux with my windows XP on my Athlon system - my partitions are all set and everything. I downloaded all 5 cds of Redhat 8.0 and burned... then when i tried to install I simply got lines and lines of octal numbers scrolling down my screen. Tried it on my other computer (a p4) and it works fine! I realized that I got the i386 ISOs - those are all that are available on all of the mirror sites i found! How can I install redhat on my AMD system?

2. ecchi_

ecchi_ Thread Starter

I tried downloading the Mandrake 9.0 ISOs to test. Well, these didn't work either. Upon boot it told me to press enter to install... but when I did it switched to a plain black screen and stopped accessing my cdrom drive. In my brothers computer it worked fine - I really don't get it! Any ideas what the problem can be?

3. lynch

lynch

What differences are there between your brother's comp and yours?If you try the process of elimination you can narrow it down to what piece of hardware is giving the installer(s) problems.And with installation,it's almost always hardware.In your case it may be you have to add the "noathlon"parameter to the boot options.For more about this do a "kernel parameters= noathlon" google search.
    Also compare bios settings,eg.doe he have Plug n Play disabled and you dont?
    Hope that gives you some ideas.
    lynch

4. ecchi_

ecchi_ Thread Starter

Well, actually I fixed it :). I flashed my bios to the latest version and waddaya know, it worked. Thanks for responding anyway though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice