Solved: Reducing size of Outlook pst file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Peano

Banned
I deleted about 60MB of old email in an attempt to reduce the size of the pst file. But the file size remained the same as before. So, two questions:

1. Where did the deleted files reside before I deleted them? Something must have gotten smaller. (These files were not just moved to the deleted items bin. I shift-deleted them along with their folders.)

2. How can I reduce the size of the outlook.pst file?

Much obliged for any help you can offer.

(I'm running Outlook 2002 on W2K.)

Peano

Banned
> Did you empty your "Deleted Files" folder?

Yes, I empty that regularly, along with the "Sent Items" folder. Just couldn't figure out how to make the .pst file smaller. Now I know.

I am having the same problem. I delected lots of large emails, and the PST file remained the same size. I emptied the Deleted Items folder, and I compacted the PST file. (It only took one second, so either it was compacted or it didn't actually compact the file.) Any ideas how to make it smaller?

Peano

Banned
I am having the same problem. I delected lots of large emails, and the PST file remained the same size. I emptied the Deleted Items folder, and I compacted the PST file. (It only took one second, so either it was compacted or it didn't actually compact the file.) Any ideas how to make it smaller?
Sounds like it didn't actually compact the file. This usually takes several minutes when I compact once a month (after deleting a lot of deadwood).

jimr381

Jim
Aye the compact should take a little bit. Try searching for scanpst.exe on your pc and run it on the pst file while Outlook is not open.

I was able to successfully compact my pst file after I temporarily disabled my anti-virus program, Avast. I was surprised how little the size changed. I then ran scanpst.exe, and again compacted my pst file. I guess it is as small as it can be, until I set up multiple pst files. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online