1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reducing size of Outlook pst file

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Peano, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peano

Peano Banned Thread Starter

I deleted about 60MB of old email in an attempt to reduce the size of the pst file. But the file size remained the same as before. So, two questions:

1. Where did the deleted files reside before I deleted them? Something must have gotten smaller. (These files were not just moved to the deleted items bin. I shift-deleted them along with their folders.)

2. How can I reduce the size of the outlook.pst file?

Much obliged for any help you can offer.

(I'm running Outlook 2002 on W2K.)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    This should explain why the file size did not change and also explains how to reduce the size.

How to compact PST and OST files to eliminate deleted item space in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289987

3. Peano

Thanks very much. I do appreciate it.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Did you empty your "Deleted Files" folder?

Regards,
    Rollin

5. Peano

> Did you empty your "Deleted Files" folder?

Yes, I empty that regularly, along with the "Sent Items" folder. Just couldn't figure out how to make the .pst file smaller. Now I know.

6. fredworth2

fredworth2

I am having the same problem. I delected lots of large emails, and the PST file remained the same size. I emptied the Deleted Items folder, and I compacted the PST file. (It only took one second, so either it was compacted or it didn't actually compact the file.) Any ideas how to make it smaller?

7. Peano

Sounds like it didn't actually compact the file. This usually takes several minutes when I compact once a month (after deleting a lot of deadwood).

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Aye the compact should take a little bit. Try searching for scanpst.exe on your pc and run it on the pst file while Outlook is not open.

9. fredworth2

fredworth2

I was able to successfully compact my pst file after I temporarily disabled my anti-virus program, Avast. I was surprised how little the size changed. I then ran scanpst.exe, and again compacted my pst file. I guess it is as small as it can be, until I set up multiple pst files. Thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice