Solved: Reducing timeout values

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

udi2000il

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a way to reduce the connection timeout value used by Windows OS. For example, at the moment, when I'm using Telnet or MS-RDP client, it takes the OS about 20 sec to tell me that it can't find the remote host. I want to reduce this timeout to about 5 sec.
How do I do that?
P.S: I've already tried the "DNSQueryTimeouts" reg key - with no success.

Thanks,
Udi

Do you think 5 seconds is long enough to resolve the connection?

I think there is a reason the default is 20.

udi2000il

The user and the host are located on the same LAN. 5 sec are enough.
Anyway, how can I configure Windows to do this?

Check the TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions registry setting described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053

The initial time out is 3 seconds, this doubles with each attempt. The default of 2 re-tries gives:
3+6+12=20 seconds.
If you set this to 1 you'll have 9 seconds to wait. Set it to 0 and it'll be 3 seconds.
This will affect ALL tcp/ip connections, so setting this to zero could cause many Page cannot be displayed errors for busy websites.

HTH

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online