[SOLVED!!!!] Reformating HD/install Win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Whittibo

Hello.. I found this post in a "resolved" thread, and posted a reply, but I don't know if anyone looks at the resolved ones?! anyway.. here's the original post I had a question about:

Originally posted by Toddles18:
Few things first, you can't upgrade with a full install cd, has to be an upgrade cd.

If you want to do a clean install I'll guide you through the steps.

1. Startup disk. I recommend downloading the win98se startup disk <a href="http://www.user-friendly.net/ftp/pub/Boot%20Disks/boot98se.exe"> here </a> instead of using a win95 boot disk because the win98 disk includes cr-rom support, which you need

2. Run the file to create your startup disk

3. Insert disk into floppy drive and restart.

4. Start computer with cd-rom support

5. Type "format c:" at the prompt, without the ""s

6. It will ask you if your sure, hit yes, enter a label if you so desire.

7. You should end back up at the c:\ prompt, if instead your at the a:\ prompt just type "c:"

8. Type "mkdir win98"

9. type copy d:\win98 c:\win98

10. Windows98 files should all copy to the directory you created

11. Hit ctrl-alt-del

12. start computer without cd-rom support

13. type "c:\win98\setup"

There is a shorter way to do this but this way all of your files are already on the hard drive for the future times when your computer asks for your win98 cd.
And my question is this..
I am reformatting from Win95 to install Win98 (I don't have an upgrade) I followed the instructions and reformatted the HD and when I try to do step #9, my CDRom isn't being seen. says "invalid path" (I think that's what it says)

can anyone help me figure out how to get my CDRom recognized so that I can install Win98.. :(

thanks much!!

Whittibo

HELLO! thanks for responding..

I tried
a: (floppy)
b: (assuming it's floopy too, shows same dir.)
c: (HD)
d: invalid
e: invalid
f: invalid

I am trying to find another boot disk.. wouldn't that be my problem? that the boot disk doesn't have the drivers? :(

Whittibo

and is it the bootdisk that I need? I already downloaded one this morning.. but it's not helping with the CDrom..
I downloaded another one but waiting for my dang floppy to format.. :(

BTW, that step (9) can be skipped...that just copies the setup files to your hard drive.

But you do have to get the CDROM working.

Been in BIOS yet?

Whittibo

yeah.. checked out bios.. I don't know much about it, but got it to work last time.. :)

I did set it to auto detect the drives.

I just downloaded the UBD (ultimate boot disk) someone else here on another thread recommended it.. so I will try it?! if not, I'll go to the site you suggested..

I'll be back!!

Whittibo

OK.. this is driving me crazy..
I put the new disk in.. it tells me "invalid system disk, remove disk.. blah blah blah"
so I take the disks out, it tells me something else..

I went back to my original boot disk I made this morning.. and I can see where it loads the driver for the CDRom..

so this must be a BIOS problem?!

You had to download that file and run it to create a boot disk.

Its loading the drivers? Are there any error messages?

Whittibo

ohh... yours worked!! YESSSSS... Win98 is currently loading!!! :)
wow.. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

thanks.. and I'll let you know in about 33 minutes what it's prognosis is!!

Whittibo

OH NO!!! major road block..
I don't have the product code.. :( now what???

ok.. you might need some background on this..
a friend had computer problems.. turns out her harddrive crashed.. I took components from my old system and her system and put together another one. She had the Win98 disk.. I forgot all about the product code.
This was a new disk when she bought it..but I think they are called OEM.. (not packaged version) so no documentation on it..

so how do I get a product code???? or is it product key? shucks.. anyway.. I am sure you know what one I mean.. ;)

Yep, that would be a problem.

You say this is a new hard drive? Was Windows installed on another one, and can you get it? If so, we might be able to get the Product Key off of it.

I seem to remember a while back there was a thread on here where someone got the Key off a CD...but I may be just remembering wrong. I'm not certian it is on the CD. I'll dig around and see if I can find the post.

There should have been a Product Key printed on something somewhere with the CD.......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online