1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reformating?Partition?I don't know?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by telefunkn, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telefunkn

telefunkn Thread Starter

Ok , So I learnd that with XP,you need to reset partitions to fat32 or ntfs to start things over.I looked at how my hard drive was set up and half is fat 31? and the other is ntfs?Is this a normal factory set up ?Other people had used this machine for awhile. I kinda loand it out.Theres also some weird zcom program running in the background that I can't get rid of ? could this program be running on the other side, ( ntfs ) ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

NTFS and FAT32 are just file systems - varied data structure. Generally, NTFS is a great improvement over FAT32, but I don't know the specifics, so I'll just have to suggest you use your better judgment and pick one. Or use one of each, it doesn't really matter. And you'll have to elaborate on the "Zcom" issue.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What exactly are you looking to do? Or what kind of issues are you having?

4. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Apparently he intends to reformat one [or both] partitions, but I don't know.... what's going on...

5. telefunkn

telefunkn Thread Starter

I kinda want to rebuild this machine,It's very old and limited but I'm sure I can get more out of it .The question I had before I set up my partition is ,I have both fat 31? yes 31 and ntfs .Having both, I think is kinda strange but what do I know? .My hardrive shows 2 C: 1 fat31 & 1 ntfs ,why is this ??Is this nfsu(norm factory set up)??I also have a prblem with cell phones and this machine.When you get within 4ft of it with any cell you can here it thru the sound card ???

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Tele, what that sound is is interference with the cellphone's wireless signal and the computer speakers. I have this problem with mine ever scince i went onto the cingular wireless service. Does not hurt anything. I have an old linux box in my basement that does the same thing.

7. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

When you begin formatting, you will usually see a small fat32 partition before your main one where the drivers are installed in order to complete the installation. Leave that one alone and format the other(s) using ntfs. Since this is an older computer, I would only use one partition.:)

8. Biv.

Biv.

no expert, but I read that if your formating your hard drive they recommend ntfs .

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you give us the specifications of the machine, the hard disk, and what O/S you're trying to install? Stuff like amount of memory, make/model of the graphics board, speed of the processor, etc. would be helpful.

If you're planning on wiping the whole drive and installing from scratch, running programs shouldn't be an issue. You need to give us enough information to actually help you.

10. telefunkn

telefunkn Thread Starter

this is the answer I was looking for THANX !

11. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

:confused: You ever get the feeling you're being messed with?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, I'm done here.:rolleyes:

13. henrio

henrio

Thing with the speakers is the cables I am lead to believe. Serious speakers have shielded cables to stop this interference. Cheap speakers like mine don't and I too get this interference, I also get clicking noises when the washing machine is going but that's another problem.

When I bought my computer I had my HD partitioned into 4 partitions, when I got it the main one was NTFS (windowsXP) the rest FAT32. I was told this was done so that I could install older programs onto FAT32 if they weren't running too well on NTFS.

Hope this helps.

14. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Not just shielded cables but also the speakers themselves, to prevent monitor interference [for those of us that are living in the past...]

15. telefunkn

telefunkn Thread Starter

This answers both my questions , as far as the speaker thing ,sound system is brand new, with shielded cables?and being messed with and evo, I just got home from the hospital afew weeks ago,I've been in a coma for 2yr91/2months. I guess i'm a bit behind but I'm running as fast as I can!EVO may take awhile!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice