1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Reformating & switching drives

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Scotiagirl, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl Thread Starter

I am preparing to reformat both drives on my sisters older computer, 1st drive is a 2 kg and 2nd a 10 kg, I have had to reformat (usually due to unsafe surfing,spyware I could not remove etc) her computer a couple of times. Anyway My real question is can I swap the two drives, as the master drive is the 2 kg drive which no matter how many times I show her, she installs everything to instead of the D drive. She claims the computer will not give her the option to install to the D drive.

Since I am going to reformat BOTH drives, can I swap the cables and make the 10 kg drive the master and the 2 kg the slave, or do I have to do a bios update for that? and if so is it involved, as I am not too skilled working in the bios itself.

Reccommendations would be greatly appreciated.

tks Chris

2. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Shouldn't have any trouble switching drives. Just make sure you get the jumper setting correct.

If your system already recognizes the 10, you're fine.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are both drives on the same cable? If so you have to change the jumpers too.

4. Scotiagirl

hmm not sure if they are on the same cable or not, have not cracked the case yet, did not want to get too involved and get stuck half way thru LOL, been there done that before. Will keep that in mind now that is seems ok to go ahead. Will not close this post until I see how it gos

Thank you both for your replies.

5. ~Candy~

Access bios setup. That should also give you some indication as to how they are jumpered....If you have two hard drives on IDE 0, master and slave, then they are on the same cable...if you have a hard drive on the secondary IDE 1, then it is one the secondary cable ;)

6. Scotiagirl

hmmm. got everything all switched around, computer still recognizes both drives, but still shows the master drive as the small one, so I suspect that I need to attack probably the bios, does anyone know what my next step is pls..

7. raybro

raybro

When you say you "got everything all switched around"... Are you saying you switched the electrical connection to the hard drives. If so and they still show up in the same master slave configuration, then you did not set the jumpers properly. Actually, if both drives are on the same cable, the jumpers are all you really need to change in the first place.

Post back with as much detail as you can about the hard drive configurations.

BTW... What OS are you running?

8. Scotiagirl

HI Ray, the OS is a 98SE,
    what I did was I switched (not knowing then duh) that I could just switch the jumpers, I switched the drives themselves, and the jumpers, then i realized the jumpers were on the same drives they had been, so I switched them back, then I did a reformat on the hd's when I did the reformat it still showed the "C" drive as the little drive, and the "D" as the big drive,

But, I think I now have more problems than that, while waiting for replies last night, I decided to reinstall win98SE so I could see what was going on, not being that literate in DOS, and when I got it installed, and checked "my computer" it is not showing the "D" drive at all, so I have definetly missed a step somewhere,
    I am just getting ready for work, and don't have time to fire up the other computer for its specs, I will install Aida32 and post specs over the weekend, as I am sure most ppls will not be around on the weekend.

Thanks

9. ~Candy~

What do you mean C drive 'little' drive and D drive the 'big' drive? If you want D to show as MASTER, you MUST change the jumper settings on the hard drive itself, the little plastic things that cover the pins close to the power connector to the MASTER position, and the other drive MUST be changed to the SLAVE position.....otherwise you are spinning your wheels. And again, JUST TO BE SURE....both drives are on the SAME gray cable, correct?

10. Scotiagirl

I meant the little drive was the 2 kg one, the big one the 10, remember my intention is to make the 10 kg the master, but it did not change, so I thought maybe I needed to tell the Bios something, and yes ACA they are on the same grey cable, I am going back at it tomorrow, Friday night time to stretch out and relax.. LOL will prob need it for tomorrow.. tks

11. ~Candy~

You need to make sure the little pins are in the correct positions. Tell us the brands of both drives. Western Digital drives have different jumper settings if there is another drive on the same cable, (not just simple master setting).

12. Scotiagirl

Like duh, finally clued in, must have had a brain fade, I was thinking the "jumpers" were the CONNECTORS, darn wonder I did not lose everything, will switch them shortly and report back..

One born every minute..

13. bandit429

bandit429

;) Make that two

14. ~Candy~

bandit!!!!!!!!!!! Where have you been?????? I've missed you so much! You didn't even answer my last PM :(

15. bandit429

bandit429

I didnt? You missed me? ummm there isnt a red faced smilie,, What a nice thing to say,,,,,,,send me a pm Ill awnser :) Hi Candy!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice