Solved: Reformatted PC - video/sound driver help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chredge

Hi All,

Hope someone could help me here.

I recently had to reformat my PC and now I need to reinstall my video card and sound card drivers. The only problem is, I don't have the driver CD anymore.

Also, when I try to find out what my video/sound cards are I draw a blank because they don't seem to be displayed anywhere (display properties/settings/advanced/adapter). All adapter type and adapter information are all <unavailable>.

I know my video card is ATI but that's all I know and as for the sound card - I haven't a clue what make that is. I've been on the ATI website but there are so many drivers I don't know which one to download/install.

How do I start to gain control over my PC again and find/install the necessary drivers???

Thanks in advance for all your help,

C h r e d g e.

You can download Belarc Advisor here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html . This will identify your hardware . I usually recommend PC Wizard but Belarc seems to be the weapon of choice for the experts here so I'm going with the flow :)

If your PC is branded you should download the drivers from the manufacturer's site where possible .

chredge

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Nessyguin.

I installed Belarc Advisor, ran the program but under 'display' and 'mulimedia' it said none detected. Does this mean there is a problem with my sound and video cards???

Cheers again,

C h r e d g e.

Is your PC branded ? If so , what's the make and model ?

What does Belarc say your mainboard (motherboard) is ?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go here and download and install Everest Home Edition 2.20.405. It does a much better job than Belarc Advisor in telling you what hardware is in your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Never ever format a hard drive and do a clean install of Windows XP without first knowing what hardware is in your computer and then downloading and burning off the drivers to a CD-R. The ones of primary importance are the display adapter, the sound device, and the network adapter. Windows XP has a built-in driver database, but it doesn't usually provide all the needed hardware drivers during its install. If your computer is a known factory brand and has the original hardware still in it, its support website should tell you what the hardware specs are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

chredge

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the replies - thanks!:)

Everest Home Edition displayed that I have a ATI Radeon Express card so I have now successfully managed to install that driver and everything works fine with the video card.

It also shown I have a Realtek sound card so I attempted to install the diver I had down loaded from their website. Unfortunately the driver seemed to install OK but I still have no sound on my PC :(

Could any of you guys help me with this?

Cheers again,

C h r e d g e

chredge

Hi Guys,

All sorted now!

I had installed the Realtek High Definition Audio instead of the
Realtek AC'97 Audio - D'OH!

Video and sound cards working fine now - fantastic work guys - thank you very much!

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online