Solved: Reformatting Dell Dimension 4550

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scotiagirl

Hi, I am trying to reformat a Dell Dimension on Windows XP Home, and have never had a problem like this, don't know what I am missing, the machine was purchased with XP home on it, and there is a reinstall disk. When you do the reformatt when it comes back up and runs through the process it does not ask for the product key? It reformats and when machine is supposedly all set up and ready to go half the information such as ethernet card, audio drivers etc is not there. If you are doing a complete reinstall should it not ask for the product key??? This really has me puzzled, I have reformatted 3 times, and am not coming up with the proper setup. I am going to work now and will not be back until this evening, but anyones input into this would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Tks Chris

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a Compaq Presario laptop that came with a XP CD. It allows me to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from scratch without ever asking for the product key or asking me to activate it with Microsoft.

Personally, I think that's great. I had to contact Microsoft once before to reactivate XP on another laptop, and it was a real hassle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your CD an actually XP CD or a recovery/restore CD?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scotiagirl

Have reloaded again, and used what they call the restore disk to reinstall any drivers not working, still leaves the nic card, audio card drivers etc.. I guess my next guess would be to have the nic card itself checked, one of the symptons before I tried the reformat was they could not connect to the internet only sparodically, perhaps it has gone bad too. It is one of the most frustrating units I have ever worked on. Even the restore disk for drivers does not recognize any of the missing elements, I will have to try the correct drivers from the internet. I have run Aida to get the types of product/programs I am looking for, but the ethernet card really is what I need so I can install all the updates from microsoft. If anyone still has any suggestions I would love to have them. Tks flavalee for the feedback

Chris

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
simpswr:

The CD that I was referring to is an actual Windows XP SP2 CD and not a recovery/restore CD, which is why I was surprised that it didn't ask for the product code or need to be activated.

HP/Compaq apparently chose to do this with the CD in order to save their customers the hassle. Personally. I like that very much.(y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is nice isn't it! . . Dell does the same thing . . you get a regular XP disc, except that it first looks for a Dell BIOS . . if it finds one, it installs preactivated . . pretty slick!

Scotiagirl

Thanks everyone, turns out the onboard ethernet card was gone, I bypassed the onboard one in the CMOS, and installed hardware one. All up and Running again. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online