1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] reformatting hd (need help asap!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by transcriptionist, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. transcriptionist

transcriptionist Thread Starter

I am in the process of reformatting the hd on my old gateway. I am following the instructions given here on this board to do so. I have gotten to the part where I 'delete partitions' (option 1 on my system). A warning comes up saying that all info will be lost and am I sure. I click 1 again to confirm (and here is where I'm lost), it asks me to 'enter Volume Label'. What is this and where do I find it? Also, in the instructions provided here it says to 'delete any and all you see listed', there are 4 options in my menu. Question: Will the process go back so I can select each individually? Can I select them all at once? Do I have to fdisk for each selection?

(please feel free to email)

Thank you!!!
    transcriptionist.

2. cavp

cavp

'Volume Label' means only the 'name' of that partition, nothing else, it means, YOU decide it. About the other options, better wrte them here so we can help you in a better way. Good luck.

P.D.: Just in case, the restore process you're perfoming is irreversible, I mean, you won't be able to recover any previous data.

3. transcriptionist

Thank you for replying cavp!

The four options listed in the first screen are

1. Create DOS partition or logical DOS drive
    2. Set active partition
    3. Delete partition or logical DOS drive (the one I selected)
    4. Display partition information

what do I enter as the volume label? If it is individualized to my computer, where do I find that information?

Thank you again....SO MUCH!

transcriptionist

4. transcriptionist

ps. I do realize that this is irreversible, I have backed up everything that I want to keep. Thanks.

5. transcriptionist

Wrong list.....

These are the options I was referring to in my first post..

1. Delete Primary DOS Partition
    2. Delete Extended DOS Partition
    3. Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in Extended DOS Partition
    4. Delete Non-DOS Partition.

Sorry about that!!!!
    :eek:

6. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

The Volume Label information is on the same screen where you need to enter it. Look at the top. There should be several columns of information. One of them is Volume Label. In order to delete a partition, you have to enter the Volume Label of the partition you want to delete. If there's nothing in the Volume Label column, just hit Enter when prompted to type the label.

7. transcriptionist

Thank you Max19!

I had selected option #1 from that second list that I gave. Is that the option I should have chosen? Do I have to go back and delete the rest of the options also?

8. transcriptionist

Reformat was successful! Thank you cavp and Max for the assistance!

Have a good evening.

transcriptionist

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice