1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reformatting PC and Installing new HHD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yarnos, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yarnos

yarnos Thread Starter

Hi Everybody!

I am looking at installing a larger primary harddisk and making my existing hardisk my secondary drive.
    I am going to install win xp as my operating system.
    Which sp is recommended ?
    What is the difference between sp1,sp2 & sp3? which one is better?
    Can anybody give me support on what i need to do exactly ?
    How do i keep and protect all my EXISTING files?
    What software i need to install to protect me from spam,adware,malware etc.?
    What harddrive should i be considering installing?
    IS there any other issue i should consider in the planning process?

thank you(y)

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

SP3 has not been released yet so you should use SP2 . . you will have an additional 100 or so Windows updates to apply once you have XP installed.

Take the old drive out . . set the jumpers on the new one to Master or Cable Select. Put the new drive in and connect power and data cables. Connect the drive to the end of the ribbon if you have a PATA drive

Enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 98SE or Windows ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to create one or more partitions, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
    http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Leave the old drive disconnected while you are installing . . only connect it when you are ready to copy files to the new one. When you reattach it, set the jumpers to Slave or Cable select and attach to the middle connector

I prefer Seagate drives . . seem to be more trouble free than others

Open Device Manager and write down the details of:

Display Adaptor
    Modem
    Network Adaptor (s )
    Sound card

You will likely need to download and install the drivers for these after XP is installed on the new drive. You will need to know the Chipset and install those drivers first, then the others.

You will need the reinstallation discs or files for any Applications you want to reload.

3. yarnos

yarnos Thread Starter

Thank you SIMPSWR,

For such a detailed and speedy reply! What is the SATA drive? is this faster? How do i know if my existing drive is SATA? Is SATA faster and more reliable? How do i find what chipsets are my devices?
    Is it recommended to install a 1 terabyte hhd as my primary? or will this slow my startup on boot?
    I am going to keep this thread as my reference on my laptop so when i do the reinstallation i need to keep all the information together. I want to make sure i setup my PC correctly to prevent any future malfunctions or crashes.I need as much professional advise on setting up as possible.
    cheers

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. yarnos

yarnos Thread Starter

How do i partion the large drive into small partions? What stage of the reinstall do i do perform the partion? What software should i consider installing to protect me from spam adware and which firewall gives the best protection?

6. satbir

satbir

Hi yarnos,
    When u'll boot from Win XP installation CD, after agreeing to license terms, u'll come across the Partition Management screen.
    As the new hard disk 'll be empty with no partitions, it 'll show as unpartitioned volume of the size of ur hard disk.

Then u can select that particular hard drive and Press 'C' on ur keyboard to create the new partition. After pressing C, u can specify size of the drive in MBs.
    U can again create a partition of reqd size on the remaning unallocated space.

Don't worry, it's fairly easy. :)

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Watch the demo installation in the link I gave you . . it will answer the first two questions.

The ones listed in my signature would be a good start in protecting your pc

8. yarnos

yarnos Thread Starter

what software should i consider for pc protection

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

I would choose either AVG AntiSpyware or SuperAntiSpyware . . not both . . and the other three . . they do slightly different things

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice