1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reg Edit for dummies

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stupidloanguy, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stupidloanguy

stupidloanguy Thread Starter

I updated XP to SP3 and Office 2003 in the same day. I ran a virus scan with AVG and then a Registry clean up with Registry Mechanic.

Now my email signatures in outlook 2003 are gone and the window to edit them is grayed out in Outlook. Did about 2 days of searching on Google and my problem lies in the registry clean up I did. I do not have a good restore point and I am not savvy enough to edit the registry, please help!

I have a screen shot of the problem in outlook/tools/options/mail format for anyone who can help?

Thanks,
    Erik

Attached Files:

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

3. stupidloanguy

what do I do after creating a new profile?

Yes it wanted to create a restore point but I told it not to this time. Ooops!

4. eric996

eric996

Have you checked to see if the Signature section on the mail format tab is grayed out still after you created the new profile? Also, make sure you are opening up the newly created profile.

5. stupidloanguy

The new profile is working and the signatures profile is active. Thank you!

I created a new profile with bogus info, what do I need to do in order to clean it up?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Delete the bogus e-mail account and enter the e-mail account you want to use.

Open the Personal Folders (.pst) file you were using in the previous profile:
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the location of the .pst file and select it, it should then appear in the new profile.

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Outlook 2003 wanted to create a restore point? I haven't seen that.

8. stupidloanguy

Thank you I will try that.

No, the reg mechanic wanted to create a restore point, not Outlook. Sorry!

9. stupidloanguy

I use 4 emails accounts in this profile and without even changing the master, all of the 4 show up ok. Should I leave the ficticious account email or will it cause outgoing server errors?

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Lol. :)

Only if you want to keep it, and listen to Outlook complaints, yes, I would delete it.

Honestly, I would say your biggest problem is allowing Registry Mechanic to make any changes. Maybe it is time to give it a pink slip? :)

11. stupidloanguy

I already downloaded Reg Cure from your site thanks!

Ok one for time for the dummy. In my new profile, I need to create a legit email and then how do I get all 4 of the "other" email accounts I use to show up?

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Remember, ads you see here help pay for this website. We do not sell those products or even endorse them.

You will need to rekey each e-mail account in Outlook.

13. nessyguin

nessyguin

And if and when you run Reg Cure remember to allow it to make a backup before applying any changes . Also remember that you may not be able to access the backup if Windows cant load because of registry problems ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice