1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] reg restore

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by padutch, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

I guess this might be a dumb question. I have a reg patch to fix jpeg in the registry. All I have to do is to click on it and it repairs.
    Ok, so would it work to save the whole reg and then would I just be able to click on it to repair the registry? I know I can go to DOS and run a scanreg/restore but just wanted to know if this would work
    DUTCH

2. Dan O

Dan O

Yes. Also Windows 98/ME makes up to 5 backups of the registry. If you want more move the oldest one to another folder. Then from a DOS window or using Run type: SCANREG /BACKUP before running the fix.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgivings.

3. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Hi DAN O ,
    Another dumb question. In your reply you said " yes " Well is that yes it is a dumb question or yes it will work to click on the saved reg file to restore? HA!
    DUTCH

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Dutch, there is a difference between using scanreg /restore from DOS and using a saved .reg file to merge back a saved registry (or a part of one).

The .reg file does not actually "replace" the existing registry with the saved one, but instead "merges" it. This means that while deleted or altered entries will be replaced by those still in the .reg file, added ones are not removed.

On the other hand, restoring from DOS does a complete removal and restore.

5. Dan O

Dan O

Padutch,

No questions a dumb question. So did you try it and is all now well?

6. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Thanks all and yes all is well!!! Best thing that ever happened to me was finding this site. I have learned so much thanks to all of you. Thing is I have so much more to learn so you will see me often. HA!
    DUTCH

7. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome, and jump in and assist when you can, it helps you learn.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice