Solved: Regaining file access rights after XP reinstall - help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chooonz

Hi everyone.

I had some particularly bad crapware on my system and it deleted some of my system files so I had to reinstall XP.

Here's the problem - I had to create a new user account for myself after the install but I no longer have access to the files I had before the reinstall.

So, if USER A was my account before the reinstall and USER B was my account after the reinstall, how does USER B get access to everything USER A had access to? Is there a batch process for this?

Please save my sanity and help me!

Thanks.

chooonz

Thanks dragjack.

I'd worked out how to do the taking ownership thing, but your link contained info on how to take ownership of all the sub-folders and files. You have just saved me hours.

Thanks again.

chooonz

I don't suppose anyone knows how to get hold of all past Outlook emails after a reinstall?

glad I could help! (had the same problem a while back so i know how irritating it can be!!:eek: )

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online