1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Regarding Netgear Wireless Router and Netgear USB Wireless nic card...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by axis77, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

Heres my dilemna, I have installed a netgear wireless router for me (Win2000) and a usb wireless nic card for another pc in the house, to share my internet connection. The router seems to be configured correctly, i have a cable internet connection so my router is configured for dhcp to get ip's from the cable connection my pc runs flawlessly, i also have inplace the necessary wireless security. But my issue is the other (Win98) wireless workstation, it can see my SSID on the network and my connection is reading at 65% but it doesnt seem to see the router i have the worstation configured for dhcp from the router but for some reason they dont see eachother I dont understand why? if i run ipcofig on the win98 pc i get a apipa address instead of a dhcp ip address that my router should be pushing out just like it does for my pc??? I think im missing a major step here but i cant see it...

2. coulterp

coulterp

You are correct: the win98 pc should get a DHCP allocated IP address in exactly the same way as the other PC(s) connected to the router (regardless of whether they are connect by wire or wireless to the router) - an APIPA IP addres is not what you want to see!
    You have set the encryption on the win98 wifi card to match that on the router and are certain you have matched the keys on the wifi card with those on the router?

3. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

yes i did, well what i ended up doing is just disable any security and even broadcasted my ssid, just to see how it works...so my issue still is that is sees my ssid and signal strength is at 60%, but on the 98 pc i see that the wireless card is still scanning all the wireless channels and it gets no connectivity to the router for dhcp, so im going to to run a long network cable to the 98 pc just to make sure the dhcp is working for sure and if so..then i might just take the router back and get a replacement or possibly get a wireless router that has a stronger signal...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... on the 98 pc i see that the wireless card is still scanning all the wireless channels ..."

That sounds like you defined an ad-hoc wireless network on the 98 pc and it is scanning to see if there is another PC with that ad-hoc wireless network in the area.

If that is what you are doing you will never connect to any router no matter how strong the signal. Router based networks are, by definition, infrastructure type. Delete the ad-hoc network and just 'scan' or 'view' wireless networks. Assuming you see yours, connect to it. If that works, then you can enable encryption on the router, and reconnect with the PC. Turning off the SSID broadcast makes your network more difficult to use, makes it more difficult for your neighbors to avoid using the same channel, and protects your network from the people who cannot crack WEP (but those who can crack WEP also know how to get your SSID without the broadcast).

5. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

Im not using ad-hoc in using infrastructure, im broadcasting ssid for now and no wep security,but on the wireless 98 pc the wireless utility sees the ssid and signal strengty at 65% but on the bottom of the wireless utility program it still trying to scan all the wireless channles and there is no movement on the status bar...i guess this only makes sense for the people that have the netgear usb wireless device...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... i guess this only makes sense for the people that have the netgear usb wireless device... ..."

I have the Netgear USB 2.0 wireless WG111, but my utility (on XP) must be different than yours. Mine has 4 tabs; on the 'Networks' tab it will scan and show all networks found--I can then choose one and click on a 'Connect' button at the bottom.

Sorry I couldn't help--I don't remember much about 98SE and never used wireless until after moving to XP.

7. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

mine does too thats just it when i find my wireless network and it sees my ssid and i click on connect a window pop ups and says validating settings and then nothing happens. what do you do after you select your network? do you just get in internet explorer and start surfing? the way i tested it was running ipconfig and thats when i noticed that im not getting one of dhcp address from my pool of addresses!!
    well thats ok TerryNet, it seems like XP has more functionality when it comes to networks versus win98, well maybe i will test out the wireless usb nic card on my pc and see if it truly works and if so , then maybe i will just upgrade the 98 pc to 2000
    once again thanks for putting some thought into my post...

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... says validating settings and then nothing happens ..."

Sometimes I get that too! Once I get it working, it's usually OK "forever." At the "validating settings" part it has switched to the first tab, right? Make sure all the settings there are what you want, especially whether no encryption, WEP 64 or WEP 128. Keep fiddling with it a couple or half dozen times. Just before you tear your hair out it will connect. Then make absolutely sure that you save those setting in a profile name of your choice.

9. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

ok in case any one is interested...i finally fixed it, what i think happened is when your creating a name for your ssid it cant have special characters?? i had a special character in my ssid, i wiped out my router and added the same ssid with out the special character and when i connected the wireless 98 pc it seen my new ssid and i validated the settings and bam i have 86% signal strength and now my router is serving the pc a ip address....yeah, once again thanks terrynet for reading my issues...

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the solution report, axis77.

Moral of the story: the older the operating system (or application) the more cautious we need to be about external names--maximum of eight alphanumeric characters should always work.

11. coulterp

coulterp

Most documentation I've seen in Netgear (WGT624 v3, WGR614 v6, DG834, etc) says "An SSID is a thirty-two character (maximum) alphanumeric key identifying the name of the wireless local area network." which to me excludes special chars as it is clear what an alphamumeric char is. Linksys appears a bit looser saying only "32 chars".

What's valid appears to vary: the following Intel page: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2915abg/userguide90/connect.htm
    is pretty clear about what it finds legal/illegal.

Still good to see you got it sorted.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!