1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Registery Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by halfinch, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halfinch

halfinch Thread Starter

HI I am completely new to this, my problem is i have lost about 60 programs from the program and features control panel and have only 30 remaining.All the programs still seem to be working though.I have tried restoring to earlier time but have sinse read that its probably a registery fault. I use Nortons reg cleaner and avs as well as cc cleaner useing them intermediately so i was surprised to have a problem . The computer is a Toshiba laptop Satellite500 32/ 64 op system.Nortons security scans cant find any faults and say computer is running like new although its 3yrs old.Its nortons 360 security and Virgins health check gives 100% clearance. I am not that good with too much technical stuff but would be very very grateful any help or advice. Warm Regards Halfinch :confused:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

That's just it. Using Norton reg cleaner, AVG's and CCleaner to mess with the registry, has likely deleted those entries in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good, and should only be used by advanced users who really know their way around the registry. Never to be used blindly on "Auto" mode. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair. In a word, it's a scam.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

Why I Don’t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

Do I Need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

3. huggie54

huggie54

try this,
    Type cmd in start search box. Right click on cmd in the Program list and then select Run as administrator.
    Then type sfc /scannow and press ENTER:

4. Phantom010

Hopefully, the DisplayName values are the only ones missing in the registry, and the rest of the Uninstall keys are still intact.

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type regedit

Press Enter.

Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Click the "+" sign to expand Uninstall.

Locate the 60 programs you are missing in the list under Uninstall.

One by one, look in the right pane and find DisplayName.

Double-click DisplayName and type the name of the program.

Next time you open "Programs and Features", the entry should be back, as long as there isn't more damage done to the registry keys.

If there is already a value for DisplayName and you still can't see the entry in "Programs and Features", please ensure that the value doesn't contain more than 63 characters, or the name will not display in "Programs and Features".

5. halfinch

halfinch Thread Starter

Dear Phantom010 Thank you so very much i have been able to recover some of missing programs and will do the rest asap.I want to thank everyone for there help and will take your advice,once again thank you all. Warm Regards Halfinch

6. Phantom010

You're welcome! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!