1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Registry programs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Paintedeyes, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paintedeyes

Paintedeyes Thread Starter

I've seen a lot of those registry fix programs. they're suppose to fix any problems you have with windows with just doing a scan. does anyone know if they actually fix anything and are they any good?

2. bernardus

bernardus

Be very carefull to trust this automatic cleaners. They don't sort out correctly and even a so called entry pointing to a "non existing file" cannot safely be removed if you don't check it. I have the expirience that some programs got corrupted with doing so. A safe program is MS Regclean. Download from Microsoft (free) Another is regseeker, more advanced, very fast, but again be carefull what you delete. A damaged register may destroy your OS.
    Much can be deleted, but you need to sort out. In every case you should (must!) create a backup of your entire OS system and programs. REGSEEKER automaticly creates a backup.
    With double clicking on such an REG key backup the keys will be written into the register again. Make a restore point before you start. But even that won't save you from disasters.
    Don't believe promises of software. A less complicated/sophisticated program is JV16

bernardus

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I learned from bitter experience not to use these "wonderful" gadgets, there are also a lot of very experienced people like bernardus who are wary of them.
    Check link for some thoughts.
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

I'm sure others will also add their views
    Richard

4. 1002richards

Should add: thanks to blues_harp28 for pointing me and others to that link.

Richard

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

They don't 'Fix' per se, they remove registry clutter.

Now here you will find the real deal. Note these utlities and procedures are not noob friendly.

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

So, you are saying that they will abolutely guarantee, 100%, that their products never (ever) remove registry items that could still be required by either Windows or an installed application?

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What kind of question is that? Terms like 'absolute' and '100%' when referring to computers (actually anything)? Are you new to this? Did I even allude to such a thing?
    Easy Desk's apps and procedures can actually fix/repair real problems in the registry that are impacting operation, not just clean registry fragments that in no way impact performance/operation of your computer.

I guess I needed to add:

WARNING! Don't play in the registry unless you know what you are doing and/or are being supervised by a highly trained computer tech with many years of experience. I take no responsibility nor do I recommend any of the procedures or applications mentioned. This link has been provided for informational purposes only.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the response, but it was your "real deal" comment that made me ask about the 100%. After the preceding comments, the words "real deal" (at least to me) made it sound like the EasyDesk apps could be run without worrying about the potential nasty sideaffects.

You indicate that these apps can actually "fix/repair real problems ".

I presume that this comment is from actual experience with the products? If so, could you take the time to explain the situation and resolution?

10. bernardus

bernardus

Thank you Richard
    bernardus

11. 1002richards

I hope the original poster (Paintedeyes) has had their question answered - or at least has been able to appreciate that this topic is a forum for lively debate ! Anyway ....
    Happy Christmas

Richard

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't fix stuff that ain't broke!

Words to live by. ;)

13. Paintedeyes

Yes, i appreciate all the help. I think for the most part i'll just stay away from registry programs even though it's tempting when it says it will fix all problems. hah but ya thanks guys

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You know what they say about things that look too good to be true, right? ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

15. Paintedeyes

hah exactly, k will mark it, thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!