1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Registry question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Narcon, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Narcon

Narcon Thread Starter

I was wondering how I can view all my game registry entries and perhaps delete some?

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

to view your registry you simply go to start-run type in regedit and click ok

Now you have the tricky part of viewing your game entries, you will find most software installed in HKLM-Software, then look for the names of the games you want to remove, note that they may also be under the name of the developer, so BF1942 is under EA GAMES or Electronic Arts.

Make sure you make a backup of your registry before deleting anything

If you have uninstalled games and are just trying to remove any old registry entries that are still laying around in there then you may find it easier to use a registry cleanup tool.

just doa search on google for a reg cleaner, but again make sure you backup your registry before running it.

3. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

I like using Regseeker which is freeware

Google for the name Regseeker

4. Narcon

Narcon Thread Starter

I do not have HKLM -Software showing. There are HKEY, but none of the other.

I also tried Regseeker but it did not find what I was looking for. I think the problem is that it was a "trial" game. So I didnt really install the game, I just added it to my registry. Now that I have bought the game it will not install, it only gives me the option to uninstall the game. So I figure that it is the registry entry..??
    If I still have the file that entered such reg entry, can I retrieve the location via the file itself??
    Thanks for the help.

5. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

HKLM is short for HKey Local Machine

What game are you having trouble with?

6. Narcon

Narcon Thread Starter

ghost recon is the game. It is when I try to install the Island thunder mod. Which is the registry rntry I believe to be giving me this head ache.

LOL ...thanks for the tip on the HKey

7. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

What happens if you try to uninstall the trial version?

8. Narcon

Narcon Thread Starter

It isn't a trial. It was a cracked game, but now I own the game and the proper disk wont work! Somehow I bet Bill is behind all this.

9. Narcon

Narcon Thread Starter

Alright, I finally figured it out. was looking in the wrong place. after I got that HKEY thing straight it was easy. Thanks for the help guys.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice