1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Registry Write Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BodyworkeR, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BodyworkeR

BodyworkeR Thread Starter

I get the following error in a message box entitled "AVG 7.5 build 472(5/25/2007" when trying to install AVG7 virus checker:
    "Local machine: installation failed
    Instalation:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG.Kernel: creating registry key...
    Access is denied. (5)

When I tried installing AVAST AV checker instead my browsers (Foxfire and IE 7) can't access the internet.

But I'm more concerned about the registry error because I'm afraid it'll effect something else besides just AVG's installer.

E

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It looks like you have a registry problem and actually that is a very serious thing.

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or or external hard drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Are you attempting the install from a restricted account, or one with full privileges?

Try the SubInACL program and the command file in this AVG Forum post to reset your permissions.

4. BodyworkeR

SubInACL worked like a charm. When I was running it I got a little scared when I saw 2 errors pop up under HKLM but when I tried installing AVG afterwards it worked like a charm. Does SubInACL keep a log somewhere? I'm curious what the errors were and if they'll effect me somewhere else.
    In any case
    Thank you very much.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Glad to hear that it worked.
    You can mark this thread as Solved by using thread tools at the top.

I doubt if there is a log anywhere, since SubinACL is a command line program. It means that one of the /grant commands failed, but it/they were obviously not needed in order to get your install working.

6. BodyworkeR

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice